DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 06-07-2007, 02:27 AM   #1
Benwiggy

Default Available paper sizes in US

Here in the UK (and other parts), the standard paper size for laser printers is A4, which can be readily bought. The other common size is A3, which is ideal for making A4 booklets.

In the US, obviously, US Letter size is commonplace. Can anyone in the US confirm that Tabloid (17 x 11") is readily available for making Letter-size booklets?
Are there any other common sizes that you can buy in most shops?

I'm writing a book, in which I mention commonly available paper sizes.

(In the UK, I've found it very difficult to buy any other sizes, particular B-format, unless I buy my own forest.)
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benwiggy View Post
In the US, obviously, US Letter size is commonplace. Can anyone in the US confirm that Tabloid (17 x 11") is readily available for making Letter-size booklets?

Are there any other common sizes that you can buy in most shops?

I'm writing a book, in which I mention commonly available paper sizes.
One can easily obtain 11X17-inch laser or office-style paper in office supply centers (national chains like Staples, OfficeMax, Office Depot; and some local places). Most do not offer all brands and finishes in tabloid size, however.

Most office supply centers also sell “legal” size (8-1/2X14-inch), which is almost as common as letter size. I like that format myself, and have often used it to produce 7X8-inch booklets.

Some of the office supply places may also offer a few specialty papers — other than laser or inkjet stock, in other words — but usually only in letter size.

For anything more unusual than that, one would go to a local printer supply company, a graphic arts shop, or look on the web. Among other considerations, those places are more likely to sell sheets designed to be folded and printed, essentially, sideways (issue of grain direction).

Old 06-07-2007, 08:30 AM   #3
Michael Rowley

Ben:

Quote:
I'm writing a book, in which I mention commonly available paper sizes
Doesn't 'commonly available' depend on whom you mean paper is available to? The common sizes that are available from a retailer of office supplies are A4 and A3 in Europe, but a printer's 'common size' will be from the RA or SRA series (which allow for trimming).

The B series isn't really an ordinary paper size, though it's used for folders etc., in the same way as the C series is used for envelopes.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:44 AM   #4
Benwiggy

Kathleen, Thanks for the info. It's good to have that confirmed.

Michael, yes, I was asking about paper for use in laser printers by consumers.
The sheet size for commercial printers will depend on their press, but they will generally buy it from a mill in bulk to order, so there isn't really a problem of availability.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:58 AM   #5
Michael Rowley

Ben:

Quote:
I was asking about paper for use in laser printers by consumers
No laser printer that I've heard of is restricted to a particular ISO or US paper size. My very old printer had separate A4 and Letter sized trays, but would take, I think B4. My present laser printer will take paper about 8.5 in wide, but goes to paper a little longer than either of the two US Legal sizes. I could, like most people, print on RA4 paper, but as I haven't got a guillotine I'd have to go to a print shop or print-finishing shop, even if I could get RA4 paper. US users will mostly be in the same boat.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
Michael Rowley

P.S.

There's plenty of information about US paper sizes on the Web.

Old 06-08-2007, 02:13 AM   #7
Benwiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
No laser printer that I've heard of is restricted to a particular ISO or US paper size.
Very true.

Anyway, I shall now be able to write a sentence saying that where A4 is common, its booklet parent A3 is also available; and that where US Letter size is the standard, its booket parent Tabloid is also commonplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
There's plenty of information about US paper sizes on the Web
Yes, I hear it's quite informative. There are even sites where you can ask questions, and have them answered.