DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 06-06-2007, 06:46 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Writers and their fonts

Dave deBronkart sent me a link to “My Favorite Font” on Slate. It reports what a handful of well-known writers use when writing.

What do you think of their choices?

Old 06-06-2007, 08:45 AM   #2
Cristen Gillespie

I'm convinced now that the Pulitzer is mine just as soon as I switch my default font in all my programs to Courier.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:12 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

I can't imagine writing with Courier or Courier New--ugh!

When I was writing documentation, I love New Century Schoolbook...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:13 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
cristen:I'm convinced now that the Pulitzer is mine just as soon as I switch my default font in all my programs to Courier.
ROFL!!!

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 08:39 PM   #5
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Dave deBronkart sent me a link to “My Favorite Font” on Slate. It reports what a handful of well-known writers use when writing.

Awhile back I thought of using a different font for writing, as after all sans-serif reads easiest on a screen. So I thought it would compose easier too, and I would just switch to a serif for printing.

It simply did not work. I couldn't write very well with the sans-serif. Now I believe I have to use the same font for writing and printing. I think the problem is, that the rhythm and flow of the sentence structure is too important for expression, and the sans-serif changes the feel for it. Also, I make of lot of rough drafts and a lot of revisions -- a lot. Mentally, constantly going back and forth from print to screen works better for me in the same font.

Or so it is for now, but this is an interesting issue that I want to study some more. As I've mentioned before, I write best in a coffee shop (I like Winchell's and Dunkin Donuts best, but these aren't options for me any longer, and I'm just learning McDonald's is better than Starbucks). But that is changing now that my sentence structure is controlled by voice dictation -- and I mean by voice dictation seen immediately on a screen, not on a recorder, although that also has its own structures that are interesting.

Before voice dictation, I could only get decent sentence structure using a cartridge ink pen, and these pens are still essential to me on revisions. I simply cannot write with a ball point pen. The rate of flow of the ink is too stiff for my thought process. But I'm training myself to be able to use the dining room table for revisions. It might be working. I tried using a new desk set up and arrangement, but one of my dogs couldn't cope with me being there. He died a few weeks ago, and I might try it again, (but I'd rather have the dog back).

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 11:27 AM   #6
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Maybe it's the way strokes interact with my particular eyes' astigmatism, but I keep coming back to Verdana for writing. Hoeffler isn't bad, though, I see. Never thought to try it before.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:53 PM   #7
dthomsen8

Default Their choices? Fascinating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
It is fascinating how many of these writers use Courier, because they started with typewriters of various kinds and still like the result when done on a computer.

I must admit that I went off following links about the following author.

Nicholson Baker, author, Double Fold: Libraries and the Assault on Paper

You can follow the links, too, but perhaps we should start a new thread rather than have a big change of topic in this one.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote