DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 06-02-2007, 02:38 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default LED monitors?

According to a note in the July MacWorld, Apple plans to replace the fluorescent lamps now used to backlight its flat-screen monitors with LED backlighting. (This is part of a plan to reduce the use of arsenic, mercury, and brominated flame retardents in Apple products. The LCD fluorescents contain mercury.)

What I wonder is what effect this will have on performance. I am thinking of getting a new computer and monitor — should I hurry up to get one of the old polluting versions? Or wait for this new thing?

Old 06-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

From what little I know, LED is supposed to be pretty good...Samsung is, I think, releasing or had just released an LED LCD...very pricey...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 02:51 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
From what little I know, LED is supposed to be pretty good...Samsung is, I think, releasing or had just released an LED LCD...very pricey...
Maybe I could see it at CompUSA or someplace.

Apple monitors tend to be on the high-priced side anyway; on the other hand, my four-year-old LCD is still working perfectly. (I thought it had a dead pixel, but then I cleaned the screen, and it was fine! <g>).

Old 06-02-2007, 02:56 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kt: Maybe I could see it at CompUSA or someplace.
First...you'd probably be hardpressed to find a CompUSA store--they have closed all 4 local (MD and VA) stores and the closest one is now in Norfolk (3-4 hour drive). Second, I've not found high end monitors anywhere locally...I've always had to order mine...

>>(I thought it had a dead pixel, but then I cleaned the screen, and it was fine! <g>).

ROFL!!

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
curveto

Location: some room with white padded walls ... now surrounded by Saguaro Cacti

Two things. Well three, actually. Err, noooo .... make that four.

Now before you get all excited about my lack of recollection, recall that it was you that drove me to watch ... uhh ... what was it now??? ... Tom somebody. Just now (or was it a while ago?).

Less power consumption (#1).
Longer life (#4).
More uniform lumination (#2).

...and (potentially, depending on how it's done) better dynamic range.

FWIW: I've been waiting for LED/LCDs to hit the TV realm, myself. Still waiting for the HD feature set to mature a touch more before taking that plunge (probably will do so this next annual cycle... Feb '08ish).

Lost them marbles long ago, I think.

JR
curveto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
First...you'd probably be hardpressed to find a CompUSA store--they have closed all 4 local (MD and VA) stores and the closest one is now in Norfolk (3-4 hour drive).
That’s interesting — unless it has closed in the past month or so, we have one. And it has an Apple employee always present.

I will have to check.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by curveto View Post
Less power consumption (#1).
Longer life (#4).
More uniform lumination (#2).
I assume those benefits come from the LED monitors? (You can be so opaque, JR!)

So there is no reason for me to hurry to buy another LCD, right? Whew. I am not quite ready, anyway.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:39 AM   #8
Richard Waller

I think this is the same problem as the new HD-ready TV sets which definitely give a more detailed picture, with perhaps some blurring on movement, but then the quality of the TV programs is so poor why bother. The actors complain that the new screens show all their warts and nasel hairs. Do you like seeing the stuff you surf on the LED display. Horses for horses, and eye of the beholder.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:58 AM   #9
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
What I wonder is what effect this will have on performance.
It is just the means of backlighting that is changing, and for the better! LED technology has leapt ahead these last couple of years and the price of high output diodes has dropped as manufacturing levels have increased. The manufacturing process produces less toxic waste and there is less of a problem when it comes to disposal. My garden is illuminated by LED, my staircase background lighting (for safety purposes) is LED, my Land Rover lights are mainly LED. They last a lot longer, light output levels do not gradually fade with age and they consume low levels of energy.

I wish there was an LED answer to large screen HD TV. My large panel TV uses plasma cells, which we now find are high in toxic products so will probably have to be disposed of at a toxic waste facility when it dies. As shoppers, we bought it because it gave the best (in our opinion) image luminance, colour and the clearest HD picture for the size. Consideration of the planet seemed unimportant.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:36 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

We too have a lot of LEDs in various tasks, but I had no idea of what it would mean for a monitor.

Thanks.