DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Old 03-08-2005, 09:21 PM   #1
Bill Murmann

Default Trouble with Gateway

I've owned a Gateway PC for about three years. Recently, I ordered additional memory to increase my RAM.

Gateway, however, sent the wrong part. The memory module they sent doesn't fit in my computer. I can't use it.

Because I've had the part for over 30 days, however, Gateway's "customer service" department refuses to replace the part and refuses to refund my money.

I paid $80, plus shipping and tax. They sent the wrong part. And now they won't allow me to return the part and won't refund my money. They are ripping me off.

I spoke with a supervisor in Gateway's customer service department--to no avail. I called their public relations department and got voice mail. So far, no one has returned my call.

I can't believe that Gateway is doing this. I'd appreciate any suggestions for how to deal with this.

--Bill
Bill Murmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 09:48 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murmann
I've owned a Gateway PC for about three years. Recently, I ordered additional memory to increase my RAM.

Gateway, however, sent the wrong part. The memory module they sent doesn't fit in my computer. I can't use it.

Because I've had the part for over 30 days, however, Gateway's "customer service" department refuses to replace the part and refuses to refund my money.

I paid $80, plus shipping and tax. They sent the wrong part. And now they won't allow me to return the part and won't refund my money. They are ripping me off.

I spoke with a supervisor in Gateway's customer service department--to no avail. I called their public relations department and got voice mail. So far, no one has returned my call.

I can't believe that Gateway is doing this. I'd appreciate any suggestions for how to deal with this.

--Bill
Tell the world. And make sure they know.

This is why savvy companies compensate people who are given a bad deal. an insurance company refunded me recently when they charged me a premium after I'd cancelled a policy. The didn't want me to tell the world.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:42 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Bill you might want to try what I did recently with a defective horse blanket. I had contacted the manufacturer back in November, received a reply to my initial query, then I replied to the email from the company and never heard back.

It took me a bit to get around to it--as in, it's now March...'-}}

What I did was to write an email outlining the situation and making a point about lousy customer service and also putting in the name and email address of the "customer service" person...

Then above that, I wrote that if I had not gotten a satisfactory response from the company by such and such a date, I would be posting the following (my email outlining the situation) to every equine mailing list, all the horse people I knew and that I would post it at local tack shops.

Interestingly enough, I got an email from the "customer service" person the VERY NEXT DAY!!! saying she'd never received my reply to her email--oh yeah...right...

The upshot is that my blanket is on the way to them to either be repaired or replaced...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 08:04 PM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Did you pay by credit card, Bill? If so, it's simple to dispute the charge.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:51 AM   #5
donmcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
Did you pay by credit card, Bill? If so, it's simple to dispute the charge.
It is if the charge was recent, but if it has been over 30 days I suspect there might be obstacles in that route as well.

Don
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 02:34 PM   #6
Bill Murmann

<<...tell the world...>>

I've been thinking about that. So far, Gateway's PR department hasn't returned my voicemail message. Our local newspaper is the largest-circulation paper in Ohio. They have a column that deals with consumer issues. I think they might be interested in my problem with Gateway. I'll try calling Gateway's PR department again and will write a letter to their CEO. If I don't get my money back, I'll contact the newspaper and one of the consumer advocates on our local TV stations.

I'll also look into filing a complaint with the Ohio Attorney General's office about having my money stolen.
--Bill
Old 03-10-2005, 02:44 PM   #7
Bill Murmann

<<...posting the following...(etc.)...>>

When I spoke with Gateway's customer service supervisor, I mentioned that I was active in a number of forums on the Internet, etc. It didn't do any good. He just restated that it was Gateway's "policy" not to accept parts for return after 30 days. The fact that they sent the wrong part--a part that would not even fit in my computer--didn't make any difference as far as their "policy" was concerned.

From what I can see, their "policy" apparently justifies ripping off their customers.

--Bill
Old 03-10-2005, 02:46 PM   #8
Bill Murmann

I did pay by credit card, but the bill with that charge on it has been paid already. I don't know if the credit-card company will be able to help.

--Bill
Old 03-10-2005, 03:19 PM   #9
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murmann
<<...tell the world...>>

I've been thinking about that. So far, Gateway's PR department hasn't returned my voicemail message. Our local newspaper is the largest-circulation paper in Ohio. They have a column that deals with consumer issues. I think they might be interested in my problem with Gateway. I'll try calling Gateway's PR department again and will write a letter to their CEO. If I don't get my money back, I'll contact the newspaper and one of the consumer advocates on our local TV stations.

I'll also look into filing a complaint with the Ohio Attorney General's office about having my money stolen.
--Bill
Sounds good to me, although I'd probably be yelling it to the world by now, and not waiting for yet more non-response. ;-)

Old 03-10-2005, 04:41 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

>>Bill: From what I can see, their "policy" apparently justifies ripping off their customers.

Write something out and then send it to Gateway...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote