DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 05-28-2007, 02:27 AM   #1
Mike
Staff

Default What a welcome home

I got back from holiday on Thursday evening and everything seemed normal.

Friday morning the Iomega Minimax disk and usb/firewire hub on the Mac Mini packed up. A few weeks ago that wouldn't have been a disaster as it was only used as a backup. However, just before we went away I needed more space on the internal drive so copies all the clients' artwork to it with a view to backup it all up to DVDs after the holiday. Some of the stuff is replaceable as it's copies or scans of photographs. Some, however, isn't replaceable -- particularly image files for limited edition prints where the originals have been sold.

So, I sat down and put the air purifier on to provide a cool breeze. It functioned for a couple of minutes and went dead. Now it won't work at all.

As I couldn't use the Mac Mini for looking at all the holiday photos I decided to use the ThinkPad -- only to find that it completely dead. It won't charge or start up or do anything.

Did anyone say it was good to get back home?

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:02 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Ewww!!! Ick!!! I'm so sorry!!!

Any chance that a data restore place could get back the files on the mini???

As to the Thinkpad...do you have it plugged into regular power--not running off of the battery? If not, then try that and you may find that the bios lost its mind and you need to go into Setup--this happens on my sister's old laptop that she gave me (I use as a backup system) when I don't have it plugged into regular power. I was told that the battery port is going bad which is why it won't hold the charge...

Keep us posted...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 03:10 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Oh, no!

My computer’s fan was running loudly today, so I panicked. Actually opened up the case and found — heaps and heaps of dust.

Vacuumed, and now it seems better.

But my first thought was along the lines of omigawd, I’m not properly backed up.

Sorry. Hope you can salvage what you need.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:37 AM   #4
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Any chance that a data restore place could get back the files on the mini???
Well, Iomega have offered to replace the drive under warrantee. In the meantime I've ordered a new Iomega drive in the hope that swapping the power supply might allow me to retrieve the data. Failing that I'll have to resort to a data recovery service.

Quote:
As to the Thinkpad...do you have it plugged into regular power--not running off of the battery?
It's plugged in to the power supply which I know works (as it works with another ThinkPad). It's just completely dead and doesn't respond to the power-on button or even being shouted at.

www.welshframing.com
Old 05-29-2007, 12:46 AM   #5
Franca
Staff

Oh, Mike that's just dreadful. I can empathize with drive failures but I haven't had two separate machines fail like that.

But this brings up a question I've had for years: why is it that you can power down a computer in apparently perfect working order, go on a trip, come home, and discover your previously healthy computer is suddenly flaky or - even worse - totally dead, when nobody has touched it for days?? Or weeks? This has happened to me more times than I care to remember.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:27 AM   #6
LoisWakeman
Staff

Mike: any chance you can recover files off the original drive?

I feel your pain - I had to fork out a lot to recover my email archive after a disk failure on the laptop.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:30 AM   #7
LoisWakeman
Staff

Electronics need to be powered up regularly. The less often you use them, the more likely they are to fail.

I have no idea why, and this is such a vague topic that Google was unable to help.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 08:10 AM   #8
Andrew B.
Staff

That is a terrible chain of events. I hope the hard disk recovery goes well.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 02:48 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
mike: I've ordered a new Iomega drive in the hope that swapping the power supply might allow me to retrieve the data. Failing that I'll have to resort to a data recovery service.
Keeping my fingers crossed that the new power supply does the trick!

>>It's plugged in to the power supply which I know works (as it works with another ThinkPad). It's just completely dead and doesn't respond to the power-on button or even being shouted at

Ewww...sounds like it's really...dead...dead...dead...

Hmmm...would a bad/dead cmos battery do that? Not sure how one replaces that in a laptop but it might be worth a try???

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 12:00 AM   #10
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Keeping my fingers crossed that the new power supply does the trick!
BINGO! The power supply from the new disk worked a treat.

What's really odd, though, is that after starting up from the new power supply it then decided to start up from the old one as well. I'd plugged the old one in several time before with no luck but suddenly it worked.

So, thanks for crossing those magic fingers!

Quote:
Ewww...sounds like it's really...dead...dead...dead...

Hmmm...would a bad/dead cmos battery do that? Not sure how one replaces that in a laptop but it might be worth a try???
Yup the ThinkPad does look really dead. Fortunately it's not one I normally use but it's small and handy as it's more readily portable than the PowerBook or the in-use ThinkPad.

As you say, it could be something like the CMOS battery and that would make some sense. It had been unplugged for a few weeks and, although it has only been in use for a short time (6 months or so) it had been stored in a warehouse for some years before it was sold 'as new'.

I'll probably get it checked out when I have the time.

www.welshframing.com