DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 05-23-2007, 06:51 AM   #11
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
KT: Not so the mapmakers, who will be fuming (though I doubt they are surprised).
I am being optimistic. Now that so many people will be in the Illustrator camp who otherwise wouldn't be, I'm looking for them to pressure Adobe into adding FreeHand features I've wished AI had for some time. Maybe . . . At least we finally got a boost in grabbing anchors and handles -- always so easy in FreeHand and so difficult in AI, and that so basic it defied logic to be so difficult.

Old 05-24-2007, 07:15 AM   #12
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

For years Freehand was also the illustration app of newspapers and the wire services, perhaps because it was the favorite of mapmakers.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:03 AM   #13
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cristen Gillespie View Post
I am being optimistic. Now that so many people will be in the Illustrator camp who otherwise wouldn't be, I'm looking for them to pressure Adobe into adding FreeHand features I've wished AI had for some time. Maybe . . . At least we finally got a boost in grabbing anchors and handles -- always so easy in FreeHand and so difficult in AI, and that so basic it defied logic to be so difficult.
Maybe so. On the other hand, the oddest tasks can prove to be difficult to program. Or so they tell me.

I still remember meeting with the engineering team for InDesign with a list of “little things” we absolutely had to have, only to be told by the engineers about this or that tiny feature that “that’s too hard.” As a user, I have no idea what is difficult or easy, of course. I just know what I want!

And, to be fair, most of that is in ID.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:40 AM   #14
Bo Aakerstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
I noticed that ACDSee is trying to entice mapmakers by adding GIS import to Canvas. I wonder if some of them will switch to Canvas.
Switching to Canvas at this moment in time would perhaps not be such a wise thing to do. Since I am (was) a Canvas user, this isn't easy to say!

There has been little or no development, no bug fixes and no responses from ACD about what is going to happen with the application for a very long time. No-one from the company seem to visit their forums either.

I personally believe that it was bought by ACD because the company wanted to integrate some of its features into their own applications (ACDSee aso.).

There have been rumors of buy outs floating around for a while as well, but I don't really know what is true.

I think it is sad because I really like Canvas. I know it isn't to everybody's liking but what application is?

Old 05-24-2007, 10:00 AM   #15
Andrew B.
Staff

Good point. Canvas might be no less of a dead end.

Quote:
There have been rumors of buy outs floating around for a while as well, but I don't really know what is true.
Rumors of someone buying ACDSystems?
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 10:06 AM   #16
Bo Aakerstrom

Just Canvas as far as I know.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:41 AM   #17
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Aakerstrom View Post
Just Canvas as far as I know.
Sooo, what are the rumors? Corel? Or just a general rumor of it being sold to someone else.

BTW, I took a quick look as the Canvas forum, and saw that ACD Systems will not provide patches for the Mac version anymore.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 12:48 PM   #18
Bo Aakerstrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
Sooo, what are the rumors? Corel? Or just a general rumor of it being sold to someone else.
Apparently someone inside the company, how true that is is anybody's guess.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:15 AM   #19
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Maybe so. On the other hand, the oddest tasks can prove to be difficult to program. Or so they tell me.

I still remember meeting with the engineering team for InDesign with a list of “little things” we absolutely had to have, only to be told by the engineers about this or that tiny feature that “that’s too hard.” As a user, I have no idea what is difficult or easy, of course. I just know what I want!

And, to be fair, most of that is in ID.
Oh definitely little things can prove to be the very devil. They need hooks in a thousand places just to work, or they mess with some other vital ingredient. And I wouldn't expect, or necessarily want, a direct translation from FH into AI. I, in fact, preferred and stuck with AI for a number of reasons that haven't changed. FH didn't have everything! '-}

But hopefully, with every 5th question on the AI forum being something about translating a task from FH to AI, we'll see AI implement some of the more requested features, rather than driving FH users into the arms of another vector software provider. That way we all win, well, "we all" meaning AI and FH users<BG>