DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > How to Use the Forum

Old 05-20-2007, 06:26 AM   #1
Bill Murmann

Default Why Am I Getting a Dialup Box?

Every time I enter the forum, I get a pop-up dialog box requesting me to select a Dial-Up modem connection.

I'm using a DSL connection, so I don't understand the reason for the Dial-Up box.

I just click cancel when it pops up, so it isn't a big deal. However, I would like to get rid of it if I could.

--Bill
Bill Murmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 09:00 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murmann View Post
Every time I enter the forum, I get a pop-up dialog box requesting me to select a Dial-Up modem connection.

I'm using a DSL connection, so I don't understand the reason for the Dial-Up box.

I just click cancel when it pops up, so it isn't a big deal. However, I would like to get rid of it if I could.
It sounds as if your browser doesn’t know about the DSL. Does this happen with other apps or on other occasions?

Old 05-20-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
cirquelle

Try this. Open Internet Explorer. Click Tools, Internet Options, Connections. Under dial-up settings, select Never dial a connection. Open LAN Settings and make sure nothing is checked. If this doesn't work, delete all dial-up icons in Control Panel, Network Connections. Reboot and test.

If this doesn't fix the problem, it's possible that you may have a malicious dialer on your PC. Time to run anti-virus and anti-spyware scans.
cirquelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 07:39 AM   #4
Bill Murmann

No, it just happens with the DTP Forum. It's strange.

Sometimes I wonder what would happen if I clicked "OK" for the dialup connection. Would dialup and my DSL connection start fighting each other and crash my system, blow up my CPU, and cause the roof to collapse on my house, etc....?<g>

--Bill
Old 05-22-2007, 07:50 AM   #5
Bill Murmann

Thanks, Cirquelle. I was thinking of this as just a minor nuisance. I never thought of a malicious dialer.

My security software includes up-to-date versions of Norton Antivirus, Spysweeper, and AdAware. I do full system checks with Spysweeper and AdAware after each online session, and I run a full system Norton check about twice a week. Spysweeper and Norton are always "On" in the background.

I'll check the settings you mentioned. I'm very concerned about security issues.

When I first bought SpySweeper a year ago and ran it on my old computer, it found a keylogger on my system. To this day, I have no idea where that came from or how it got on my system.

As soon as SpySweeper detected and removed the keylogger, I changed all my passwords.

--Bill
Old 05-22-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
Bill Murmann

Cirquelle, I tried your suggestion to change the connection setting in Internet Explorer. It worked. When I logged on to the forum for this message, I did not get a dial-up dialog box. Thanks for your help!

--Bill
Old 05-22-2007, 01:21 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Cirquelle, I tried your suggestion to change the connection setting in Internet Explorer. It worked. When I logged on to the forum for this message, I did not get a dial-up dialog box.
And lots better than harboring malefactors!

Old 05-22-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
cirquelle

You're welcome. Good to hear that it was just a configuration problem and you got it sorted. That's usually what it is.
cirquelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #9
Bill Murmann

Quote:
And lots better than harboring malefactors!
That's for sure, Kathleen.

I have to admit, however, that I'm just a bit concerned about being online with my system. There's that nagging suspicion that someone, somewhere has gotten in somehow and is doing bad things...

I guess the only thing to do is to take precautions and hope for the best.

--Bill
Old 05-22-2007, 06:30 PM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

s fo
Quote:
I guess the only thing to do is to take precautions and hope for the best.

--Bill
Or switch to a Mac!