DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > How to Use the Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2007, 07:53 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default Alert: Private message spam

Unfortunately, we seem to have harbored a viper named turing, and he has posted at least half a dozen private messages (PMs) to forum members — that we know of, though we fear he probably posted many more.

If you receive one, do not click the link in the message. Just delete it.

We have banned the guy for eternity, so we will not be seeing turing again (at least by that name).

Very sorry for the annoyance.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 05:26 AM   #2
dthomsen8
Member
 
dthomsen8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19130
Posts: 2,158
Default Turing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Unfortunately, we seem to have harbored a viper named turing, and he has posted at least half a dozen private messages (PMs) to forum members — that we know of, though we fear he probably posted many more.
"Alan Mathison Turing, OBE (23 June 1912 – 7 June 1954) was an English mathematician, logician, and cryptographer. Turing is often considered to be the father of modern computer science."

The viper turing took the name of a great pioneer in computing, and used it for his own purposes. I never got one of his messages, but I thank our alert staff members for their good work in keeping this forum functioning well and with decorum.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:47 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
"Alan Mathison Turing, OBE (23 June 1912 – 7 June 1954) was an English mathematician, logician, and cryptographer. Turing is often considered to be the father of modern computer science."

The viper turing took the name of a great pioneer in computing, and used it for his own purposes. I never got one of his messages, but I thank our alert staff members for their good work in keeping this forum functioning well and with decorum.
Thank you. We try.

The spammers often appropriate famous names. Or nonsensical ones!

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:08 PM   #4
Squagnut
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In the Cumbrian floody area
Posts: 19
Default

Well, I was lucky enough to receive a PM, and sharp-eyed enough to spot that Turing had been banned before following the link - but due to me being lackadaisical in how I set things up, I received email notification of the PM, which is what prompted me to pop back here in the first place.
Squagnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 02:28 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squagnut View Post
Well, I was lucky enough to receive a PM, and sharp-eyed enough to spot that Turing had been banned before following the link - but due to me being lackadaisical in how I set things up, I received email notification of the PM, which is what prompted me to pop back here in the first place.
I don’t much love the circumstances, but nice to see you back here, anyway.

Thanks for letting me know. So far as we can see, there is no way for us to tell how many members actually received turing’s messages.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:22 PM   #6
Squagnut
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: In the Cumbrian floody area
Posts: 19
Default

Thank you for the welcome back Yeah, I don't know of any forum with admin tools that can track or block PMs, but I should have thought it would be a simple hack to ensure that a member with a zero postcount cannot send PMs. It's a sign of how desperate spammers have become, if they now send PM spam. I only hope that it was a one-off spam and that this forum isn't on any marketed spammer databases.
Squagnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 05:57 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squagnut View Post
I only hope that it was a one-off spam and that this forum isn't on any marketed spammer databases.
You and me both.

Fortunately, vBulletin has a prompt response to most threats. We expect to fix this one, like the others. Sigh.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Last edited by don Arnoldy; 05-18-2007 at 09:17 PM. Reason: fixed broken quote tag
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 10:23 AM   #8
Robin Springall
Member
 
Robin Springall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.
Posts: 1,259
Default

Well, he didn't consider me an attractive prey – no PM at all. I'm gutted!

   
__________________
Robin
Intellectually challenged, alcoholically propelled
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 12:36 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall View Post
Well, he didn't consider me an attractive prey – no PM at all. I'm gutted!
We probably banished him before he got to you!

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Private Message Folder dthomsen8 How to Use the Forum 15 01-15-2007 09:52 AM
Private message folders iamback How to Use the Forum 1 11-17-2005 05:56 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.