DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 05-18-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
Bo Aakerstrom

Default More colours!

It is all to easy to get stuck in a rut when it comes to selecting colours and sometimes consulting a colour wheel isn't very inspiring.

I found a reference to genopal on a blog recently and it actually does work quite well.

The on-line version is free, but there is also a payed version for download.

Old 05-19-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
Cristen Gillespie

Have you tried Adobe's new Kuler? http://kuler.adobe.com -- They were down when I looked last week and I'm just checking them out now, so can't say anything about it myself, not even whether it's pronounced "cooler" or "color."

Old 05-19-2007, 10:28 AM   #3
Bo Aakerstrom

Pretty kuul!

A little hard to operate but you can get some useful results from it.

Old 05-19-2007, 11:02 AM   #4
Kelvyn
Staff

I have had GenoPal for a while now - I don't think the on-line version was there when I bought it. I find it quite a useful tool, although I tend to use SLUGS more in the office - an application which is no longer available. GenoPal is installed on my laptop so clients can have a look at suggested colour scemes when commisioning a new website.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:16 AM   #5
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
I find it quite a useful tool, although I tend to use SLUGS more in the office - an application which is no longer available.
A super-quick google found it immediately and available for download. And although one reviewer wonders why it can't be installed on Windows 2000, and another had application errors, I had no problem with either. And it's freeware. No longer maintained or supported, apparently (weblink ends up at a parked domain), but does it need that?

So thanks for the tip - after a very quick look it seems a lot more useful than at least the online version of GenoPal which I found totally uninspiring and hard to control - just a fixed set of fixed color combinations. Or am I missing something?

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2007, 11:56 AM   #6
iamback

Default Even more colors!

Since this got me googling, I googled a bit more and found ColorScheme Generator 2, another online application that offers a wealth of controls (nearly everything on the screen is a control!), including a dropdown to give you an idea how the result would look with various types of color blindness. That's certainly a keeper for my toolbox.

4096 Color Wheel is not just useful but beautifully implemented, too. Fun to play with.

Then there's the Accessibility Color Wheel which has immediate feedback, including on some color blindness interpretations: it lets you choose a foreground/background combination that should be legible for all.

VisiBone Webmaster's Color Lab is limited compared to others mentioned above (and limited to a 216-color palette that's hardly useful any longer these days) but still worth a look.

All of that picked from the first page of results from a google search for color wheel, while avoiding the commercial apps; at the bottom of the page google suggests a number of related searches. Have fun!

Old 05-19-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
Bo Aakerstrom

Colorblender is good too!

Old 05-20-2007, 04:36 AM   #8
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Aakerstrom View Post
Colorblender is good too!
Ah, yes! I'd seen that before (it didn't show up on that first page of the google search - that was just a teaser to go looking for more ). Added now to my new little list of bookmarks for these thingies.

Old 05-20-2007, 05:50 AM   #9
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
So thanks for the tip - after a very quick look it seems a lot more useful than at least the online version of GenoPal which I found totally uninspiring and hard to control - just a fixed set of fixed color combinations. Or am I missing something?
I just looked at the on-line version of GeoPal and it lacks a lot of facilities & flexibility of the download version. I also found that my version was a little old so grabbed an update. It can be used to replace the color picker in PhotShop which has already proved useful.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2007, 09:12 PM   #10
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Aakerstrom View Post
The on-line version is free, but there is also a payed version for download.
No online free version, but Mac users have the very nice Color Schemer for purchase and download.