DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 05-18-2007, 12:57 AM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default Intel Macs doing Windows??

I'm hoping to buy a new computer in the next few months, and although I don't think I can change platforms from PC to Mac, I thought I should at least investigate the possibility. The only reason I'd even consider the switch is that there are apparently no more PC custom builders, so I'm gonna have to buy a "corporate" product.

A hard-core Mac junkie friend of mine insists that I would be able to run all of my Windows DTP programs on an Intel Mac (using Parallels or similar). And that using a Mac would change my life.

Has anyone actually tried running the biggies -- QuarkXpress, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. -- on Windows running on an Intel Mac? I read one article in the Washington Post -- about Parallels, IIRC -- and it said that some Windows programs either wouldn't run, or wouldn't run properly.

Unless I'm convinced that Windows (and the DTP programs that I rely on) would run pretty much seamlessly on the Mac (and I have difficulty believing that they would), I don't think I can switch horses. I'm not worried about the cost of the Mac, but the cost of replacing the software would be a real deterrent. And the fonts! What would I do about my thousands (yes, thousands) of PC fonts?? The OTs would not be a problem, but most of them are PS. Even if it would be legal to convert them to Mac format, it would take forever.

What I'm looking for is impartial advice (if such a thing exists in the platform choice issue) from people who have used both Mac and PC.

If I bought a Mac, it would open a whole can of worms. Unless there's a way to add SCSI to a new Mac (which I doubt, since SCSI seems to be going the way of the horse and carriage), I'd have to give up using my beloved Cheetah hard drives. And my slide scanner is SCSI. Yeah, I could keep the old PC as a scanning station, but building an addition onto the house to make room for an additional computer setup would be too pricey.

FWIW, the main reason I want a new computer is that I need more memory (1.5 GB doesn't cut it anymore) and faster processors, and I am not going to upgrade this one (don't even suggest it, it ain't gonna happen).

Let the games begin ...

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:09 AM   #2
roaryg

>> Apparently there are no more custom pc builders ...

??? There are at least a couple of dozen places in my city building pcs to your spec. Starting at $199 even. Actually the corporate boxes are quite excellent and reasonable these days. We have Dells here at work which are very nice.

Sorry don't know much about the intel macs, but I prefer to avoid emulations. If it would do a dual boot into either pure Windows or pure Mac it would probably be good. I too have lots of old SCSI bits still hanging around, can't bring myself to throw them out because they were so expensive at the time.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:04 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

I am as curious as you are about what Windows runs in the Intel Macs (and how well), so cannot help you there.

However, there is one good thing: Under OS X, Macs use PC fonts as easily as they use Mac fonts (more easily, maybe — no confusion about screen fonts, which OS X doesn’t use).

You can add SCSI ports to modern Macs, I am pretty sure. I was happy to say good-bye to it, myself. Maybe I should send you all my old SCSI stuff! <g>

Old 05-18-2007, 07:19 AM   #4
Michael Rowley

Marlene:

Quote:
A hard-core Mac junkie friend of mine insists that I would be able to run all of my Windows DTP programs on an Intel Mac
According to my PC magazines, you can run Windows XP on an Intel Mac, and, of course, all the various programs that run under Windows, but you have to reboot the computer to do it. So there's really little point unless you need some Mac program; of course, you may think a Mac is better built, or safer, and I can't say that you'd be wrong, and if the somewhat higher cost is no deterrent, that's not a deterrent either.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:38 AM   #5
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Marlene: The only reason I'd even consider the switch is that there are apparently no more PC custom builders, so I'm gonna have to buy a "corporate" product.
I'm going to do the Intel Mac thing eventually because I run both Mac and Windows software, but if you're going to run Windows software alone, why get a Mac? Even though it is difficult, or nearly impossible, to get custom-built PCs (you can easily build your own still, though), getting a Mac doesn't mean getting better hardware than a Dell. It doesn't last forever. It does break. You have less choice when it comes to replacing bits.

Your price and warranty are just as good at Dell, and if you want to run Windows software for a long time, I'd stick with a PC.

Old 05-18-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
marlene: The only reason I'd even consider the switch is that there are apparently no more PC custom builders, so I'm gonna have to buy a "corporate" product.
Take a look at Colfax for a custom pc build...I've not used them but there was someone on the forum (or cserve) who had--if I'm remembering correctly...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 10:46 AM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

Others might disagree, but I think buying a Mac to run Windows is similar to deciding on any other computer to run Windows. For example, what is their track record for making reliable Windows computers? What kind of support do they offer to people running Windows on their computers? Because if simply running Windows applications were enough, we would have all been buying Packard Bell when they had the best prices.

OTOH, if one has a strong interest is in running a Mac, and Windows is not a critical part of the work flow, then I can see taking this chance.

BTW, Colfax is a computer builder that several people here like. When I purchased from them I was turned off by their bad customer service during the sales phase. But I must say, the computer was great. It worked perfectly until I retired it.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: BTW, Colfax is a computer builder that several people here like. When I purchased from them I was turned off by their bad customer service during the sales phase. But I must say, the computer was great. It worked perfectly until I retired it.
I thought it was you who had ordered from them and I did have a vague memory of a problem but I wasn't sure I was remembering correctly...

Now that you've bumped my memory, I thought I had a contact at Colfax and I went looking in my cserve filing cabinet and found it...Rita Miller suggested contacting Gautam Shah at Colfax...who knows if he's still there--her note was from 2002...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
marlene
Staff

I prefer to avoid emulations, too -- it just sounds too scary.

I suppose I could work with one of the corporate PC builders (or a place like Colfax that has been mentioned in other messages) but I'm used to dealing with one-person custom builders. The guy I spoke to was the guy who was building the box. He would make recommendations on components (video cards, etc.) based on my requirements and software, and I didn't have to spend a lot of time doing my own research.

This won't be an easy decision!

mxh
Old 05-18-2007, 03:43 PM   #10
marlene
Staff

Quote:
Under OS X, Macs use PC fonts as easily as they use Mac fonts ...
What?? Does that pertain to PS fonts? (I have heard in the past that Macs could use PC TT fonts, but not PS.)

That would be a good thing to know.

I did find this snippet about SCSI on Macs:

"Adaptec SCSI cards should not be used as Adaptec has discontinued development of drivers for Mac OS X."

I have to do a LOT more research. One reason I'm considering a Mac is because I'd like to know what all the fuss is about. I only worked on Macs occasionally (freelancing at typesetting or printing companies) and really didn't see much difference (other than the different ways of finding files, loading fonts, etc.), but that was years ago.

mxh