DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 05-14-2007, 09:43 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Fax to/from Mac OS X?

I have the faxSTF that came with my now 4-year-old G4. I see that there have been updates, even an expensive commercial version. But nowhere do I see how to use it. Also see at VersionTracker that this is the lowest-rated Mac fax software, so perhaps I should look into another program.

Years ago I had that software (and maybe a couple of others). The Mac used a fax modem to fax over phone lines. I do not have a fax modem unless it is built into the Mac, which it may be. Then I would still have to hook up a phone line, right?

(Of course I do, I’m saying to myself. But who knows what has gone on with computer faxing since I last used it, 12 years ago?)

So you should probably color me ignorant.

We are getting two to three unwanted faxes a day. I used to gather them up every couple of months and send them to the federal agency responsible for protecting us from fax spamming. But it doesn’t seem to do any lasting good, and it’s too much trouble. It occurred to me that if I were using a Mac as a fax machine, though, I might be able to block uninvited faxes. And the faxes I send (and with luck even those I receive) should be cleaner and easier to read.

Appreciate any help with understanding all this, as well as software recommendations.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:41 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

There are internet only fax solutions. One of our regulars put me onto one of the services, in fact, http://www.efax.com/ -- they have a Mac version.

I used it a bit but found it simpler to buy a fax app and use phone lines for the win 2000 computer (no faxing included). XP comes with fax software which works ok for my needs.

My question would be "Why is faxSTF lowest-rated"? Maybe it's losing points for the lack of features that are of no interest to you. Cheapskate that I am, I'd probably fire it up, use it for a while and keep track of what annoys and/or pleases me about it, what features are useful and so on.

After a month or two, that's your shopping list when you go to replace faxSTF.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 12:41 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

I use PageSender and find it unintrusive. Someone on the Mac forum on CompuServe many moons ago put me onto it when Faxstf was giving me heaps of problems.

But I get about two legitimate faxes and four or five junk faxes a year...

Old 05-14-2007, 01:21 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
There are internet only fax solutions. One of our regulars put me onto one of the services, in fact, http://www.efax.com/ -- they have a Mac version.

I used it a bit but found it simpler to buy a fax app and use phone lines for the win 2000 computer (no faxing included). XP comes with fax software which works ok for my needs.

My question would be "Why is faxSTF lowest-rated"? Maybe it's losing points for the lack of features that are of no interest to you. Cheapskate that I am, I'd probably fire it up, use it for a while and keep track of what annoys and/or pleases me about it, what features are useful and so on.

After a month or two, that's your shopping list when you go to replace faxSTF.
If I knew how it worked, that was what I was going to try. But I couldn’t figure out how to get started.

Old 05-14-2007, 01:22 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
I use PageSender and find it unintrusive. Someone on the Mac forum on CompuServe many moons ago put me onto it when Faxstf was giving me heaps of problems.
That was the one that caught my eye.

But I guess I do need the phone line. Somehow.

Old 05-14-2007, 10:09 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

For regular (ie non-internet) fax, yes. How often do you send/receive fax?

I get virtually no inbound faxes, much prefer PDFs or whatever, but if they insist, the deal is that they call, I plug in the phone line to the spare PC, wake up the faxware and put it in "watching and waiting" mode.

You may not be able to be so grumpy about it <g>

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:25 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
For regular (ie non-internet) fax, yes. How often do you send/receive fax?

I get virtually no inbound faxes, much prefer PDFs or whatever, but if they insist, the deal is that they call, I plug in the phone line to the spare PC, wake up the faxware and put it in "watching and waiting" mode.

You may not be able to be so grumpy about it <g>
I am plenty grumpy, for all the good it does. We get at least two junk faxes every day. But if they were items on a list, I could delete them without printing them, and at least save the paper. But I need the few real faxes.

I could set up the spare Mac as a fax machine. It is in the room where the phone lines are.

Maybe I’ll look into that. Thanks.