DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 05-11-2007, 01:23 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Firefox...driving me nuts!

A couple of weeks ago, I updated Firefox to version 2.0.0.3 and now whenever I open the browser the first time for the day, ZoneAlarm displays a message that FF is trying to access the net (duh!) even though I have set ZA to remember the "allow"...

Anyone else run into this and know how to fix it?

Thanks!

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:33 PM   #2
Kelvyn
Staff

Sounds like a problem with ZoneAlarm rather than FF. I read about a ZA problem not dissimilar the other day which was solved by fully removing ZoneAlarm, icluding the registry entries (apparently there is some instructions on the ZA site about this?). Then a brand new install, ZA detected and allowed all the standard programs requiring network access and the problem was resolved.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:16 PM   #3
Michael Rowley

Terrie:

Quote:
Anyone else run into this and know how to fix it?
I've got FireFox 2 and ZoneAlarm Pro, and haven't had that trouble, but ZA has been updated as well as FF.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:51 PM   #4
Franca
Staff

I agree with Kelvyn that it's more likely a ZoneAlarm problem. And sometimes beating it over the head and dragging every last bit of it off your system before reinstalling is the only way to fix ZA. Very annoying. I had to do the same on my husband's system for a different problem, but in our experience updating ZA has not been without issues.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:28 AM   #5
Michael Rowley

Franca:

Quote:
in our experience updating ZA has not been without issues
Have you got the (free) ZoneAlarm or ZoneAlarm Pro? There is said to be virtually no difference, but there ought to be some. I know that both FireFox 2 and ZoneAlarm Pro were updated fairly recently, and surely programs are not updated unless some customers are encountering problems with the existing program.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:21 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
Kelvyn: Then a brand new install, ZA detected and allowed all the standard programs requiring network access and the problem was resolved.
Thank you...I thought it might be a ZA problem but wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing with the latest FF2 upgrade...

I'm very leery of updating ZA as I find it very finicky and so tend to stick to the version I have--I'm using the free version by the way. The problem is annoying but not annoying enough to update ZA...'-}}

Terrie
Old 05-13-2007, 01:23 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
franca: And sometimes beating it over the head and dragging every last bit of it off your system before reinstalling is the only way to fix ZA. Very annoying. I had to do the same on my husband's system for a different problem, but in our experience updating ZA has not been without issues.
YES!!! which is why I don't want to update ZA as it's such a pita and a half--I'm using the free version...

Thanks!

Terrie