DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 04-26-2007, 09:27 PM   #1
John Spragens

Default CS3 - the missing manuals

I'm trying to adjust to this new manual-free world of the Adobe Creative Suite. But I haven't used either Dreamweaver or Flash in several generations.

Anybody know particularly good books about the CS3 versions of those two?

I'd probably get books on the new incarnations of Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign, too, if there are really good ones.

www.enigmaterial.com
John Spragens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

I received my copy of CS3 today, and looking at the box, I was taken back to the days of huge, fancy boxes and massive manuals.

Isn't there a manual of any sort on the CD for each?

Old 04-27-2007, 05:18 AM   #3
Howard White

The “Content” DVD contains documentation for all apps in the package. The PDF for InDesign is 44.1 mb and 667 pages.

"Massive manuals" are now on your hard drive, if you choose to put them there.

Meanwhile, there are some pretty good video tutorials on the Adobe CS3 video workshop site. (Some of the sample files, however, won't open because they were created with beta versions. I wrote to David Blatner about this. He growled at Adobe and his -- or at least the one I was looking at -- have been updated as of late Thursday.)

HW
Howard White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 06:24 AM   #4
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
I received my copy of CS3 today, and looking at the box, I was taken back to the days of huge, fancy boxes and massive manuals.

Isn't there a manual of any sort on the CD for each?
Also note that if you want, you can order a printed manual from the Adobe Store. Sort of like buying a 3rd party book now<G> But at least it is on offer.

I still don't like reading manuals at my computer. I wish there were an inexpensive e-reader, medium book sized, that we could load our PDFs into and then sit comfortably elsewhere.

Old 04-27-2007, 09:47 AM   #5
John Spragens

Best I can tell, the PDFs on that second disc are just capturing the content of the in-product help. Doesn't seem worth taking up the extra disc space to copy the PDFs to the hard disk.

I think in-product help and manuals should be doing different things -- providing different sorts of information and structured in different ways. I'm sorry to see Adobe moving in this direction. But I'm trying to get over it by fishing for suggestions of good third-party books that do what the missing manuals would have done.

www.enigmaterial.com
Old 04-27-2007, 11:16 AM   #6
John Spragens

There, again, the printed manuals are just repeating what's in the in-product help and the PDFs on that second disc.

www.enigmaterial.com
Old 04-27-2007, 11:20 AM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>>I wish there were an inexpensive e-reader, medium book sized, that we could load our PDFs into and then sit comfortably elsewhere.

Depends on what you mean by inexpensive, but that's one thing I use a teeny laptop for. Problem is, the teenier the laptop, the more expensive. But Fujitsu P2120s are pretty rugged little beasties and can be had on eBay at pretty reasonable prices. Look for one with Win2k instead of XP if possible.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Fujitsu-Lifebook...QQcmdZViewItem

And you get an ebook reader that does Other Stuff too. <g>

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 07:34 AM   #8
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
Steve:
And you get an ebook reader that does Other Stuff too. <g>
I've wanted to justify a laptop for a long time, simply to sit outside or in an easy chair far away from my desk, but alas . . . This keeping up with the Joneses is taking too much of a toll. '-}

No, I'm thinking Adobe can take the next logical step for PDFs. Make a bundle by providing us with a cheap, handy way to take the "book" to the beach, on the commuter train, etc.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:43 AM   #9
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
John: But I'm trying to get over it by fishing for suggestions of good third-party books that do what the missing manuals would have done.
I'm in the same position, but looking on Amazon nothing is really out soon apart from CIAB. They're always pretty good if you aren't looking for reference, but simply need to get a start with a program you know little about.

I noticed that Lynda's group is coming out mid-August with affordable video instruction, if that floats your boat. A fair bit off, and dates on Amazon are fairly meaningless, but at least video is being offered at the same price as a book.

If no one here speaks up, you might want to pick according to Amazon ratings on earlier versions of titles. Not exactly reliable, necessarily, but at least something to go by. But the product was just released, so it's still too early to expect much choice to be ready for print.

Old 05-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #10
John Spragens

Good thoughts. Thanks.

www.enigmaterial.com