DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2007, 12:54 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default Mac font mgmt w/Lino FontExplorer X

I finally installed the free Linotype FontExplorer X and spent about a day organizing my fonts and setting a good bunch of them up in the font manager.

So far, so good. It has some behavior I don’t especially like (which may mean merely that it is not like good old [late lamented] ATM Deluxe). For example …

• I would like to be able to move fonts from one set to another, preferably by dragging, but do not see any way to do that.

• I would like to tell it (in Preferences) not to retain both TT and T1 versions of the same font (this occurred when I fed it the archive of my ITC library, which includes both sets in the file). So now I need to go through and delete the TT versions.

• It doesn’t identify the foundry unless it is part of the font name. When you get to Garamond or Caslon or other fonts for which I have many versions from several different sources, it is tedious to find the ones I want.

• It could not “read” some of my early ITC/Letraset fonts, and dumped them all into a font family entitled (in red) “No family name.” Selecting one of the fonts in that collection and doing a Get Info tells me there is no printer font. Pretty sure the source files included the printer fonts, but guess this is something to look into when I get a chance.

• Suppose I could use color coding to indicate specific foundries; that would help with the confusion with Garamonds, etc.

This is FontExplorer 1.1.2, downloaded yesterday. Does seem nice and stable (so far). Now to test its auto-activation.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
Michael Rowley
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ipswich (the one in England)
Posts: 5,105
Default

KT:

Quote:
I finally installed the free Linotype FontExplorer X
You lucky Mac owner! Windows owners have been waiting (im)patiently (according to temperament) for over a year. Of course, Linotype may be trying it out on the dog first. Stiil, ATM Deluxe still works in Windows XP, though Vista might finish it for good.

I've only got seven different Garamonds, but at least they're all distinguished in one way or another. Some I've had to distinguish by a note after the group name (e.g. 'Stempel' Garamond from Bitstream).

   
__________________
Michael
Michael Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 05:50 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
I've only got seven different Garamonds, but at least they're all distinguished in one way or another. Some I've had to distinguish by a note after the group name (e.g. 'Stempel' Garamond from Bitstream).
I cannot add notes that persist in the font lists, alas.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 06:44 AM   #4
Michael Rowley
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ipswich (the one in England)
Posts: 5,105
Default

KT:

Quote:
I cannot add notes that persist in the font lists
Neither can I, but if you form a group in ATM Deluxe (or in any font manager), it suggests a group name, which is generally quite sensible, and you can add a note that reminds you of what the fonts are like. For instance, I have acquired, over the years, Garamond American BT, to which I have appended (Garamond No. 3); similarly, I have Garamond Classical BT (Sabon), Garamond ITC BT, Garamond MT, Garamond Original BT (Stempel), Garamond Premier Pro, and Garamond Pro Adobe.

Naming the families is all you need, since you never have active members of two different families, I expect.

   
__________________
Michael
Michael Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
Michael Rowley
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ipswich (the one in England)
Posts: 5,105
Default

Quote:
Windows owners have been waiting (im)patiently (according to temperament) for over a year
Well, there is a Beta 1 of the Windows version of Font Explorer X: see

http://www.linotype.com/3321/freedownloadpc.html

It sounds a bit dubious yet.

   
__________________
Michael
Michael Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:51 PM   #6
glyphjockey
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 13
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
Well, there is a Beta 1 of the Windows version of Font Explorer X: see

http://www.linotype.com/3321/freedownloadpc.html

It sounds a bit dubious yet.
I strongly suggest that you take their warning seriously: it's beta software, "not for use in production environments."
glyphjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 02:19 PM   #7
Michael Rowley
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ipswich (the one in England)
Posts: 5,105
Default

Quote:
it's beta software
And doesn't pretend it's anything else (I'm talking about the Windows PC version). But there are betas and betas, and reading the list of known issues is liable to put anyone off it. It certainly isn't yet yet as described in the advertisement for Font Explorer X.

The comments about TrueType collections though do show that Linotype is trying.

   
__________________
Michael
Michael Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:17 PM   #8
Shane Stanley
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 526
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
But there are betas and betas
Indeed. FWIW, I ran betas of the Mac version of FontExplorer for quite a while, and there were fewer issues than with with lots of "release" version software I've used.

Shane
Shane Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 01:41 AM   #9
Mike
Staff
 
Mike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Llanwrtyd Wells
Posts: 1,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
• I would like to be able to move fonts from one set to another, preferably by dragging, but do not see any way to do that.
You can drag a font from one collection to another but it will then appear in both collections, so you then need to delete it from the original. It's not too much of a pain. Click on the original collection. Select the font in the right-hand pane; drag it to the new collection; make sure the original font is still selected (normally it is) and press the delete key.


Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
• I would like to tell it (in Preferences) not to retain both TT and T1 versions of the same font (this occurred when I fed it the archive of my ITC library, which includes both sets in the file). So now I need to go through and delete the TT versions.
The help file says: Import Options

The import dialog now lets you filter the fonts you'll import by format. It is no longer a problem to import only specific font types, for instance, OpenType fonts or PostScript based OpenType fonts.

During the import, you will be warned (if activated in the preferences) if you're about to import a font which is already imported in Linotype FontExplorer X from one of the following:

The same path.
Another path but exactly the same font.
In both cases you have the option either to remove and import it again, or to do nothing and keep the currently loaded font.

In the second case, you'll have the option to import the font as duplicate.

I'm not sure how easy it would be to stop Truetype fonts being imported into the library where a PS version exists as, from memory, it doesn't display the format information when warning of duplicates.

Creating a Smart Set to automatically hold Postscript fonts and one to hold Truetype fonts might be of some help in organising your fonts. It would, at least, make it easy to see which Truetype fonts were open.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
• It doesn’t identify the foundry unless it is part of the font name. When you get to Garamond or Caslon or other fonts for which I have many versions from several different sources, it is tedious to find the ones I want.
You can always double-click on the font name in FE for full font info but that won't, of course, help you choose the right one from a font menu. What would be nice would be to have some of ATR's ability to group and rename font menu items.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
• It could not “read” some of my early ITC/Letraset fonts, and dumped them all into a font family entitled (in red) “No family name.” Selecting one of the fonts in that collection and doing a Get Info tells me there is no printer font. Pretty sure the source files included the printer fonts, but guess this is something to look into when I get a chance.
I seem to have 162 fonts in the "No family name" set, 10 of which are Truetype fonts. Some of the PS fonts do seem to have lost their printer files but others look perfectly OK. Very odd.

   
__________________
Mike

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 06:20 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
You can drag a font from one collection to another but it will then appear in both collections, so you then need to delete it from the original. It's not too much of a pain. Click on the original collection. Select the font in the right-hand pane; drag it to the new collection; make sure the original font is still selected (normally it is) and press the delete key.
Ah, thanks. Yesterday when I was importing fonts I did not see that view, with the multiple columns. I was dragging and dropping into the main window. Now I see it, so I can clean up these dups. Actually, I should probably just delete the TT from the import set — these are mostly ITC or Letraset fonts that came with both formats, and I had been storing them that way. Silly, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
I seem to have 162 fonts in the "No family name" set, 10 of which are Truetype fonts. Some of the PS fonts do seem to have lost their printer files but others look perfectly OK. Very odd.
I didn’t believe that the printer fonts were missing; maybe I had better take a look. My collections are really old, and who knows what may have occurred over the years.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lino FontExplorer out of beta ktinkel Fonts & Typography 1 03-15-2006 10:45 AM
New Lino type catalog ktinkel Fonts & Typography 7 03-01-2006 02:44 PM
FontExplorer for Windows soon? Michael Rowley Fonts & Typography 0 02-24-2006 10:53 AM
Lino revives Matrix mag (& rant) ktinkel Fonts & Typography 5 11-03-2005 10:02 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.