DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 04-24-2007, 09:21 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Website search feature

I have been playing with GRC's Script-Free Pure-CSS Menuing System page on a learning, maybe development web site with Dreamweaver.

This page has a web site search feature. I have not been able to find such software on the web, except at very high prices. Two of the potential answers took a fair amount of searching for reviews to find out the prices. If a site is very coy about prices, I always suspect that that they are high.

Perhaps I should give up on the idea, but there might be something useful that I could provide to users. Any possibilities?

Last edited by dthomsen8; 04-24-2007 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Add comment about prices
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:39 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Have you considered Google?

Old 04-24-2007, 03:15 PM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

I use Sphider for site search. It is a php/MySQL solution, is very efficient and is easily configurable. Oh - it is also free....

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 03:20 AM   #4
LoisWakeman
Staff

David - there is always WebSideStory (which has been around for yonks as Atomz) - free for smaller sites here:

http://www.websidestory.com/products.../overview.html

I have used it on one or two sites - but I am never too sure how useful it is: about 95% of the user searches obviously assume it is for the whole web as the subjects are just ludicrous. Like I've said before, you can never overestimate the stupidity (or ignorance) of the average surfer!
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
Have you considered Google?
I adore Google! I use it on my agla.org site. A few years ago, I discovered that nonprofits could use a FREE service thru Google to tie a site into their powerful search engine.

My work also purchased (leased?) what's called a Google device for our servers that improved our site search 1,000%.

A really good example of Google's strength is Wikipedia. Has anyone else ever compared Google search results with Wiki's search? I often find it easier to find an article thru Google. :-)

Old 04-28-2007, 05:43 AM   #6
dthomsen8

Default Google Non-profit Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoyle View Post
I adore Google! I use it on my agla.org site. A few years ago, I discovered that nonprofits could use a FREE service thru Google to tie a site into their powerful search engine.
What kind of proof did Google want for a non-profit? I am developing a web site for a child care provider training organization, and I already do a civic association web site. The training organization has 501(c)3 status, but the civic association is not IRS qualified. What about political organizations?
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 01:35 PM   #7
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
What kind of proof did Google want for a non-profit? I am developing a web site for a child care provider training organization, and I already do a civic association web site. The training organization has 501(c)3 status, but the civic association is not IRS qualified. What about political organizations?
They didn't require any proof. I also used it for a political site, but had to include the Google logo since it wasn't a 501(c)(3). See http://www.google.com/coop/docs/cse/faq.html#29