DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-19-2007, 10:34 AM   #1
trnelson

Default InDesign Font Issues - Helvetica Neue

EDIT: Woops spelled the title wrong! hehe.

I'm leaving this first part in for your reference, see below as I've halfway solved my problem:

----------------------

Hey everyone, I have been working on an InDesign doc for a client and my fonts are acting up. I have Helvetica Neue installed (even deleted and re-installed once to try to fix).

Helvetica Neue (Normal) shows up in Photoshop with no problems, exactly as expected, however in InDesign when I select Helvetica Neue (Normal) it gives me a very bold font. Same font and style but a totally different look. I've double- and triple-checked all of the other formatting and nothing else is set differently.

----------------------

ACTUALLY, sorry for the tangent but I think I just found my problem (wanted to leave the above so you could understand what I was seeing). I have multiple versions of "Helvetica Neue (Regular)" installed that all have different styles, and it seems perhaps InDesign is using the last found version as that font when it loads up. What made me think of this is in Photoshop there are 5 versions of Helvetica Neue (Regular) and in InDesign there is only 1 version.

Can any of you gurus fill me in on which of these is just the standard "Helvetica Neue" font, if any? I have:

Helvetica Neue Thin (seems pretty thin to me)
Helvetica Neue Light (closest match I seem to have)
Helvetica 35 Thin (seems a bit too wide maybe?)
Helvetica Neue Roman (seems a bit too bold)

I don't seem to have just "Helvetica Neue, Regular". I'm so confused! =)

I can select "Helvetica Neue, Regular" in Photoshop, but I don't seem to actually have a font named that in my fonts folder. They're all versions of oblique, heavy, condensed, etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Travis

Last edited by trnelson; 04-19-2007 at 10:35 AM. Reason: misspelled title =\
trnelson is offline   Reply With Quote