DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 04-04-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Lorem ipsum & all that greeking

If you are curious about the common greeking text, “Lorem ipsum …” here are a couple of web sites that go into great detail:

lipsum.com
The Straight Dope

I do not think latin greeking works that well. True, the client is not distracted by the content while trying to evaluate a layout. But the words are not English (or whatever language you are setting), so hyphenation rules do not work. If you try to show how justified type will look, you are likely to be embarrassed by bad lines, possibly biasing the client against the font chosen or your layout.

But this text is common, and it is interesting to see how it came to be.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:21 PM   #2
Michael Rowley

KT:

Quote:
But the words are not English (or whatever language you are setting), so hyphenation rules do not work.
You've raised an interesting point: can a computer be set for Latin in Windows or the Mac OSs? After all, the Roman Church uses Latin for official communications.

I think, by the way, you or someone else has started a thread on lorem ipso before, though it may have been in the days when Compuserve had a DTP forum.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:22 AM   #3
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
True, the client is not distracted by the content while trying to evaluate a layout.
I know that's the theory. I once did a newsletter mock-up for a client. The next day she told me how she'd sat up half the night with a Latin dictionary but still couldn't make sense of the text. Needless to say, I didn't get any feedback on the design.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 07:09 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
I know that's the theory. I once did a newsletter mock-up for a client. The next day she told me how she'd sat up half the night with a Latin dictionary but still couldn't make sense of the text. Needless to say, I didn't get any feedback on the design.
I think we all have one or two clients like that.

I prefer to use English text, nothing too fascinating. I used to use the Magna Carta, but that is pretty odd. Lately I have been using the opening of chapter two in A Room with a View (mainly because I like it).

Old 04-05-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
Bill Murmann

I have a few files with the lorem ipsum text. Whoever produced it, however, had a sense of humor. I looked over the text and discovered phrases scattered here and there that said things like: "Who would read this stuff?", etc.

I carefully deleted the "humorous" remarks. I figured my customers would not be impressed with my professionalism if they stumbled across them...

--Bill
Bill Murmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 02:49 PM   #6
Hugh Wyn Griffith

<< can a computer be set for Latin in Windows or the Mac OSs? >>

I've had a look in Windows (can't remember now if VISTA or XP) but did not find any language or keyboard settings for Latin .... but I did find accidentally that in Outlook Express you can set it to Latin (9) ISO .....

I presume that's for emails to the Vatican?

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 03:19 PM   #7
Michael Rowley

Hugh:

Quote:
in Outlook Express you can set it to Latin (9) ISO
That's for Latin script (as I think you know well).

But I seem to have found the answer to my question: the hyphenation rules for modern Italian work for Latin too (and probably that's what they use in the Vatican, where Latin is the official language). So KT can be sure that if she uses 'lorem ipso . . .' as her text fill, she needn't fear her hyphenation will be criticized—as long as she marks the text 'Italian'.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:32 PM   #8
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I was hoping to find that it was included in the Regional settings too.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2007, 06:37 PM   #9
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Last time I had to set a lot of dummy text was a few years ago when I was using QuarXPress, so I was using the Jabberwocky XTension. Within the XT I'd create custom word sets for clients who had a sense of humor and plug in names of various company employees along with a celebrity or two, then liven up the nouns, verbs and adjectives options. I then used one of those sets when creating a promotional newsletter for myself and my photog. When he first got the mockup we were going over it together and spotted one sentence that named the current US President as doing some, um, interesting things with a nurse. Honest, I swear, there were no off-color words in the list, but Jabberwocky happened to randomly pick the right combo of words to produce something that was rather shocking.

Before we showed the layout to anyone else involved in our project I edited that bit of dummy text and carefully proofread the whole thing.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:58 PM   #10
Bill Murmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC View Post
Last time I had to set a lot of dummy text was a few years ago when I was using QuarXPress, so I was using the Jabberwocky XTension. Within the XT I'd create custom word sets for clients who had a sense of humor and plug in names of various company employees along with a celebrity or two, then liven up the nouns, verbs and adjectives options. I then used one of those sets when creating a promotional newsletter for myself and my photog. When he first got the mockup we were going over it together and spotted one sentence that named the current US President as doing some, um, interesting things with a nurse. Honest, I swear, there were no off-color words in the list, but Jabberwocky happened to randomly pick the right combo of words to produce something that was rather shocking.

Before we showed the layout to anyone else involved in our project I edited that bit of dummy text and carefully proofread the whole thing.
Quote:
Sounds like a pretty good catch!

--Bill
Bill Murmann is offline   Reply With Quote