DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-25-2007, 08:51 AM   #2
George

Kathleen,

Do you know how common typesetting mistakes were in the first centuries?? I was reading yesterday on revisions of texts, and I found an author referring to some as being based on merely correcting the typesetting mistakes, which he held was common, especially spelling errors. If typesetting mistakes were common, that is a very significant fact for assessing bases for making revisions. This author noted one revision which he asserted was largely for typesetting correction, and other textual considerations were secondary.

Hmm-- I can see how these errors might be common in Greek and Hebrew on presses in England, but it was being alleged they were just as common in English -- and tracing the spelling changes can be hard enough without considering the typesetting. OTOH, nothing was noted on Hebrew typesetting errors, but that could be a reflection of those typesetters being more familiar with the language, or having more respect for their work, or there just being fewer text issues in Hebrew.

Do you know of any sources that reviews typesetting errors in early printing?

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote