DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-24-2007, 02:59 AM   #8
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
But your tale sounds somewhat apocryphal to me, unless the Brighton library was doing original cataloguing and the classifier didn't even open the book.
I suspect that may have been the problem. This was nearly 30 years ago -- maybe they had a very small geology section. The amazing thing seemed to me that the borrower appeared to have taken the book home without looking inside.

While I was working in the library someone donated a collection of Persian books that got processed up-side down.

I guess part of the problem with Dewey is that the world has changed and any change in the classification system has probably got to be a slow development lagging behind the real world. After the University decided to move all it's computing texts to 001 there was still a problem with electronics/computing texts that were popular 20 years ago when everyone was buying bags of chips and soldering up their own computer. I imagine that's a subject that gets very little attention these days.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote