DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 03-23-2007, 08:20 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Favicon Problem on Desktop

I am having a problem with a favicon on the Windows XP desktop. I created the image in PSP 6 from a screen capture from MS Word and the babybloc.ttf font. The favicon works just great in the Firefox 1.5 brower window. When I created a URL link on the desktop by dragging the favicon from the browser, the resulting icon is strangely distorted.

The desktop icon is shown first, followed by the image in the browser, followed by the image enlarged to 48x48 pixels to show detail. There are 29 colors in the image.
Attached Images

dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

This is just a guess, but I'm imagining that Windows has converted the favicon to a .bmp image and has tried to guess when adding pixels to get the size it wants.

Your favicon works well, so I'd be inclined not to bother about the appearance on your desktop.

Old 03-23-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

It looks like you have not made a multi-resolution favicon, which is needed to provide the larger image required on the desktop. See this article for all the lowdown on favicons, and use a tool like IconoMaker to create multi size (16x16 and 32x32px) icons.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 12:42 PM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
It looks like you have not made a multi-resolution favicon, which is needed to provide the larger image required on the desktop. See this article for all the lowdown on favicons
It tells a lot, but not all. (And the page has manage to lose its own favicon...)

Once thing it misses is that in IE, favicons will be linked to shortcuts - but only as long as the actual icon file sits in the browser cache; the Gecko browsers don't use it on shortcuts (but use their own icon instead). Both IE and the Gecko browsers will use it in the address bar (it does tell you that). And tabbed browsers (IE7 too?) will also use them on the tabs. (I don't know what other browser families do with them, though, if anything.)

Another thing it only states implicitly: it gives a method to link to an icon if you don't have your own domain. First of all, you don't need that if your site sits at a subdomain - what matters is whether you have access to the directory that matches the (sub)domain that corresponds to your site. But if you don't, yes, you can link to the file, and browsers will find it that way. What they don't say is that you can always use this method to give individual pages (or sets of pages) their own favicon.

And while the page does explain about multi-resolution icons, it misses the fact that if you don't have an application to create those, you can create a basic BMP bitmap, and rename it to .ico: that is because the underlying file formats for .ico and .bmp share their basic structure - multi-resolution icons build on that (and are more complicated). You'll get a single-resolution icon that way, of course, but it will do the job.

Some of that (and more!) can be found on my own favicon page: Your Favorite Icon (a page which has its own favicon that's different from the default one for the domain ).

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 05:03 AM   #5
dthomsen8

Default Multi-resolution Favicon

Quote:
It looks like you have not made a multi-resolution favicon, which is needed to provide the larger image required on the desktop. See this article for all the lowdown on favicons, and use a tool like IconoMaker to create multi size (16x16 and 32x32px) icons.
After reading this reply, and Marjolein's reply and her page about favicons, and then following a good many links to various tools, I am beginning to understand about multi-resolution favicons.

At first, I wondered why I would want to pay $30 to $50 or more for a favicon maker, when Irfanview will save a 16x16 image in any format as a .ICO file. That is how I made a favicon for my existing sites, and it has worked fine for both displays in an address line and in URLs moved to the desktop. I started this thread with that question. Now I understand about the multi-resolution favicons with multiple resolutions in the same file, I don't understand how those instances work fine, and the current instance doesn't work. It seems to work for me for www.wreathsbyolga.com but not for the instance at the start of this thread. I know I am missing something, but I am not sure what it is.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:04 AM   #6
dthomsen8

Default Favorite Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Some of that (and more!) can be found on my own favicon page: Your Favorite Icon (a page which has its own favicon that's different from the default one for the domain ).
Your favicon page is helpful. The Microangelo link is broken, though.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #7
George

So what is good software for favicons? I used this one, but it's not always free.

http://www.irfanview.com/

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 01:26 PM   #8
Kelvyn
Staff

George, the easiest way to make favicons, which is something most people need to do very infrequently, is to use an on-line generator, like this one - which is free.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 06:51 AM   #9
George

Quote:
George, the easiest way to make favicons, which is something most people need to do very infrequently, is to use an on-line generator, like this one - which is free.
Hmmm -- I still have the links you once gave me on crop circles, when I was testing you, to see if you actually know everything. I'm pretty sure you do, but you're nice about it.

Thank you. Looks like a neat alternative.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 04:34 AM   #10
dthomsen8

Default Free favicon service

Quote:
I just tried this free service for two icons (same site, different colors) and it was easy to do, but it doesn't seem to solve my original question, about making a desktop URL from the browser. Perhaps I am missing something, though.