DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 03-19-2007, 10:05 AM   #1
Linda Baldwin

Default Need emergency help setting up pdf page

Below is the last minute instructions I got WRT an ad to be placed in a brochure.....due by tomorrow! I have the image already, can make it any size. It's probably simple, but I don't know how to prep a pdf to be "camera ready" for the printer.

"I had been in hopes we would be able to use the ad you sent us for the Junior League newsletter for our Book & Author program. I am being told by the printers that we need camera-ready art in a PDF file in the exact dimensions that will be used in the ad. I am sending the dimensions to you and ask that you kindly resize the Chadwick's ad for inclusion in our program. We will need this ad by March 20th. Please let me know if this presents any problems for you. Please email the ad to me and cc Theresa Wills (copied on this email).

Chawick's will receive a 1/2 page ad in our program which is a 6 x 9" booklet.
Half page horizontal: 5.5” x 4.125”
These measurements will allow stacking of the half-page horizontals with .25 in. between them.
Thank you so much for your support of this great event! "

I have Adobe Acrobat 7 Professional.

Thanks,
Linda

Last edited by Linda Baldwin; 03-19-2007 at 11:32 AM. Reason: add image
Linda Baldwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:12 AM   #2
LoisWakeman
Staff

Hi there Linda,

Long time no see!

If this was me, I'd set up a TIFF file in PS or CorelDraw or whatever to the correct dimensions at 300 DPI, then distill it to a PDF with a custom page size as specified. Do they say whether it has to be CMYK or RGB though, or what profiles to use? Normally, a printer should say what settings they want (in the Acrobat job options) as they can vary according to how this will be printed.
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
Linda Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoisWakeman View Post
Hi there Linda,

Long time no see!

If this was me, I'd set up a TIFF file in PS or CorelDraw or whatever to the correct dimensions at 300 DPI, then distill it to a PDF with a custom page size as specified. Do they say whether it has to be CMYK or RGB though, or what profiles to use? Normally, a printer should say what settings they want (in the Acrobat job options) as they can vary according to how this will be printed.
Hi there Lois! I'm not a publisher, I'm a photographer, for goodness sake. I've never had any trouble with any of the numerous publications to which I have supplied images. This is all new to me. Here's the deal:

This is for an ad. It is simply a black and white logo. I'll attach a small jpeg of it if I can figure out how. This isn't a slick publication, and I believe 200ppi is plenty. It will probably be on fairly cheap paper. I've done the tiff in PS at 1100 X 825. I don't think, even if they enlarge it to 300ppi, that there will be any degradation in quality.

Here's my main problem. I cannot find how you set up a page size in Acrobat. I'm sure it's right there in front of me, but I sure can't find it. The page will be 6" X 9", the ad will use half the page, thus the 5.5" X 4.125" requirement. Where exactly do I enter the page size?

I meant to add the image to this message, but I added it to the first message in the thread.

Thanks,
Linda
Old 03-19-2007, 01:18 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Baldwin View Post
I cannot find how you set up a page size in Acrobat. I'm sure it's right there in front of me, but I sure can't find it. The page will be 6" X 9", the ad will use half the page, thus the 5.5" X 4.125" requirement. Where exactly do I enter the page size?
You could use Scale in Page Setup. Measure the ad in inches and calculate the percentage needed for one dimension.

However, this may wreak havoc on the image quality. The better way would be to resize it in Photoshop or similar app, then when you’re sure it looks fine, make the PDF from that.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:44 PM   #5
Linda Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
You could use Scale in Page Setup. Measure the ad in inches and calculate the percentage needed for one dimension.

However, this may wreak havoc on the image quality. The better way would be to resize it in Photoshop or similar app, then when you’re sure it looks fine, make the PDF from that.
This stuff is apparently at 90 degrees to the way my brain works. All I want to do is start with a 6 X 9" page, put a 5.5 X 4.125" image on the top half of the page with a 1/4" border top bottom and sides so that another image of the same size can be added at the bottom with the same margins. I understand the math, but I just can't figure out how to start with a 6" X 9" page. Where do I tell Acrobat to start with a certain page size?

Thanks,
Linda
Old 03-19-2007, 01:55 PM   #6
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
I cannot find how you set up a page size in Acrobat. I'm sure it's right there in front of me, but I sure can't find it. The page will be 6" X 9", the ad will use half the page, thus the 5.5" X 4.125" requirement. Where exactly do I enter the page size?
Okay, let's make this simple---

1. Use "Image Size" in Photoshop to size the image to 5.5" X 4.125"
2. In the Save dialog, choose "Photoshop PDF" for the format, SAVE.
3. Send Resulting file to printer.

That's it. No need to use Acrobat. The printer will place the PDF on the page. I don't know why he couldn't have just used a TIFF, but "rules are rules" dioncha know!

--don

Old 03-19-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
Linda Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by don Arnoldy View Post
Okay, let's make this simple---

1. Use "Image Size" in Photoshop to size the image to 5.5" X 4.125"
2. In the Save dialog, choose "Photoshop PDF" for the format, SAVE.
3. Send Resulting file to printer.

That's it. No need to use Acrobat. The printer will place the PDF on the page. I don't know why he couldn't have just used a TIFF, but "rules are rules" dioncha know!

--don
Aha!!! That never occurred to me because I didn't know there was that option in PS. I'll do that right now. Can you tell me how Photoshop PDF differs from tiff?

Thanks a BUNCH!
Linda
Old 03-19-2007, 02:51 PM   #8
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Can you tell me how Photoshop PDF differs from tiff?
I can, but then I'd hafta kill ya! <G>

The difference is in how the digital information is written to the file. A Photoshop PDF is more like a Compressed EPS file--it can include both raster and vector data. TIFFs can only include raster data.

--don

Old 03-20-2007, 05:09 AM   #9
Linda Baldwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by don Arnoldy View Post
I can, but then I'd hafta kill ya! <G>

The difference is in how the digital information is written to the file. A Photoshop PDF is more like a Compressed EPS file--it can include both raster and vector data. TIFFs can only include raster data.

--don
Well Don, that was a good idea while it lasted. However I have no idea what to do with all those settings options. No matter, the printer can live with the properly sized tif or just not do the ad.

Thanks,
Linda