DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 03-16-2007, 06:20 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Caution: Mac OS 10.4.9

Macintouch, which has been collecting user reports about problems with update 2007-2 (10.4.9), recommends a complete backup before applying the update.

They often get complaints that resolve themselves or turn out to be user error, but this collection is rather more dire than most, so figured I would pass along the warning.

You can read the reports at Macintouch.

Old 03-17-2007, 01:38 AM   #2
Mike
Staff

Guess I was lucky -- my two Macs are both running 10.4.9. I'm not quite sure when they updated themselves but I've not noticed any changes in their behaviour.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2007, 05:56 AM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Guess I was lucky -- my two Macs are both running 10.4.9. I'm not quite sure when they updated themselves but I've not noticed any changes in their behaviour.
That isn’t that unlikely — there were also messages from people who had no trouble.

What wasn’t clear to me was what the difference was. Might be that Intel Macs had more problems than the old ones, but I couldn’t tell without taking more effort than I had time for!

Old 03-17-2007, 02:50 PM   #4
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
What wasn’t clear to me was what the difference was. Might be that Intel Macs had more problems than the old ones, but I couldn’t tell without taking more effort than I had time for!
Did you see this article referenced today at Macintouch?

Heck, I've always kept my hands off mouse and keyboard whenever a machine is running an update or installing! To me it's only logical to not do anything that might confuse the installer, unknowingly opening some supporting file that the installer expects to find sleeping peacefully. I don't whack a leg off a table and expect it to keep holding the piles on top of it!

Old 03-17-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC View Post
Did you see this article referenced today at Macintouch?

Heck, I've always kept my hands off mouse and keyboard whenever a machine is running an update or installing! To me it's only logical to not do anything that might confuse the installer, unknowingly opening some supporting file that the installer expects to find sleeping peacefully. I don't whack a leg off a table and expect it to keep holding the piles on top of it!
Me, neither. I have not had problems with updates. But I don’t have an Intel Mac, and it seems that they are more likely to have problems.

What can you do? You need to keep the system up to date. Guess the most sensible thing is to have a good back up apparatus and then use it before every update.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:53 PM   #6
DTP Guy

Hmm - me too. I did have panicky moments on the reboot though, as it seemed to take an age to do so, and applications took a long time to start also.

Everything seems to have settled down though.