DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Old 03-13-2007, 09:15 AM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default Just the fax: fix or replace?

My LJ 3100 fax machine is on the fritz. I need to either get it fixed (a house call will run me a minimum of $150, I'm sure) or replaced.

Anyone know what I'd have to spend these days to get a good-quality laser fax machine? It doesn't need to pretend to be a printer or a scanner.

I'm leaning toward repair, since I've been happy with the 3100, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth. FWIW, I think I paid $600 for it. Don't know if equivalent-quality machines still cost that much. I see a wide range of prices at Staples, etc., but haven't done any real research as to which are the best models.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Just did a search at Staples and they have they have a Canon laser plain paper fax (Item 562889, Model 9192A006) for $199.98 (before a $100!!! rebate) and also a Brother laser plain paper fax ( Item 597727,Model FAX-2820) for $199.98 (before a $30 rebate)--both rebates are mail-in.

I've been very pleased with Staples online ordering/delivery. Do not!! under any circumstances ever order online from Office Depot and expect whatever you ordered to actually be delivered...they are just awful.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:03 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

I haven't used a real fax machine for many years. I just use the Mac for both inward and outward these days.

The number of faxes I send/receive has dropped to around four or five a year each way, if that.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:24 PM   #4
marlene
Staff

Wow, for $99.98 (after rebate) I could use the thing once and throw it away. <LOL>

I'll do some googling tonight and see if I can find any reviews of that model.

mxh
Old 03-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #5
marlene
Staff

I gotta have a fax machine because I also use it as a copier. Otherwise I'd have to scan everything I want to copy, and that's too much like work!

I don't send out a huge number of faxes, but I receive a lot -- my clients fax marked-up proofs back to me for correcting. And correcting. And correcting. Sometimes a single project results in hundreds of faxed pages.

I hate to give up on the current machine, especially since I just put a new toner cartridge in it last month. :\

mxh
Old 03-13-2007, 03:01 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
marlene: Wow, for $99.98 (after rebate) I could use the thing once and throw it away. <LOL>
LOL indeed! I thought it was a very good price...

>>I'll do some googling tonight and see if I can find any reviews of that model.

Let me know what you find...

Terrie
Old 03-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
marlene: I hate to give up on the current machine, especially since I just put a new toner cartridge in it last month. :\
Ain't that always the way...'-}}

Terrie
Old 03-13-2007, 03:39 PM   #8
marlene
Staff

So far I've found fairly damning reviews. Apparently this model has a tendency of pulling several sheets through at a time when you try to fax multiple pages.

That's worse than the problem with my current fax machine!

Anyway, that rules out this model for me. I already have to stand and feed each page through individually, and that's what I'm trying to avoid.

FWIW, the problem with my current machine is that as each page exits (when I'm doing outgoing faxes), the paper swings to the right as it exits. So the text (or whatever) in the lower right-hand corner of each faxed page is very distorted and stretched out (like if you move a page while you're photocopying it).

So I have to stand by the machine and manually keep each page as straight as possible as it exits the feeder. Even so, I don't get perfect faxes, there's still some distortion in the corner.

This all started after Mr. Excitement and I fixed a different problem, using parts from fixyourownprinter.com. The new parts fixed the original problem, but apparently we didn't put the machine back together quite right (not a surprise, since it was very tricky), and now I've got those swingin' pages. I've put up with the problem since 2004, and I'm just tired of it. If I'm sending out a long fax, I have to stand there by the machine the whole time.

I did try to call the repairman I've used in the past, but there's no answer so I don't know if the company's still in business.

mxh
Old 03-13-2007, 07:06 PM   #9
BobRoosth

One of my clients has several Brother MFC-8460Ns. US$340-400. They may be overkill for you, but they seem to work pretty well. Laser, ADF, network connection. Can function as a network printer. Can scan to any computer on the network.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
marlene
Staff

Wow, looks like those machines would do everything except vacuum up the dog hair.

I don't really mind the overkill so much, but the machine looks huge! I'm not sure it would even fit in the space I've got for it. But I'll check them out.

mxh