DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > How to Use the Forum

Old 03-05-2005, 01:40 AM   #1
lurkalot

Default Forum confusion

I have to say that out of all the forums I use on a regular basis, this one is the most confusing one I have encountered.

I don't like the Tree format, so I changed to linear, oldest message first. shouldn't any new replies be tacked on the end ?

I noticed if someone replies to a post further up on the tree, this doesn't go on the end, and I have to go several pages back to see it.

On other forums I use, Say I wanted to reply to someone in the middle of the postings, I would use the Quote function, and the reply I have made should tack on to the end of the thread. This makes it much easier to follow, and you don't miss any post's this way.

Also, anyone know how to enable Smilies ?

Anyone else feeling like me, Or am I missing something ?

Old 03-05-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
Michael Rowley

'Lurkalot':

'this one is the most confusing one I have encountered'

Could this be because you're an Essex Man?

Regards, Michael (from Silly Suffolk)
—No offence intended, mind!

Old 03-05-2005, 09:46 AM   #3
lurkalot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
'Lurkalot':

'this one is the most confusing one I have encountered'

Could this be because you're an Essex Man?

Regards, Michael (from Silly Suffolk)
—No offence intended, mind!
lol... Well it could be. No offence taken. Suffolk, Your not too far away from me then Mike.

Any ideas how to turn the smilies on ?

Old 03-05-2005, 10:18 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkalot
Any ideas how to turn the smilies on ?
At this point smilies are not supported here. But a few other members have also asked about them. The difficulty is that several others have expressed horror at the very idea, especially smilies that move.

But we are considering the question.

Sorry that you find the forum software confusing (you are not alone). I think one of the problems is that it is flexible, allowing each user to choose the message layout. Until you settle on a pattern, it can be confusing. Then you can get used to it.

BTW, after some experimentation, I settled on Hybrid. This gives me the thread tree, which helps find replies, but shows the messages in linear older below. I do find new messages at the end there.

Are you using the Get Posts dropdown? It allows you to see only messages posted in the last day or two, which helps avoid reading some of them over and over.

If you have specific questions, do ask.

BTW — enjoyed your photo album. What gorgeous cats you have!

Old 03-05-2005, 10:35 AM   #5
lurkalot

Default Thank you ktinkel.

Thank you for the reply,

The Smiley debate is always a trickee one, but the typed words can often be misinterpreted, and by using a smiley you can at least tell if someone is just joking or serious etc.

I had already settled for the Hybrid format, just after posting my question. You are right, this does seem the best way to view the threads, (best of both worlds).

Thanks for the kind comments regarding my photos. This is my main hobby, and of course learning to use Photoshop 7, and Elements.

Old 03-05-2005, 10:57 AM   #6
Michael Rowley

Mick:

'Well it could be'

Really Essex men aren't silly. You probably know the story, that the men that lived near Essex marshes always took wives from up London way—the women didn't last all that long (probably they died of malaria), so the men had young wives right until they died at a ripe old age.

Kathleen's told you a better choice from the four alternatives for viewing, though I'm quite content with the default. Oh, and please: no smilies!

Old 03-05-2005, 03:40 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

>>lurkalot: so I changed to linear, oldest message first. shouldn't any new replies be tacked on the end ?

Yeah...it should...that's the way I have have my forum prefs set up...then when I come into the forum, I choose "Get Posts" > "New Posts" which gives me a master list of new posts for the entire forum...

I then rightclick/open new window while clicking on the little down arrow to the left of the thread title which takes me to the first unread post...when I've finished reading/replying to the thread, I then close the windown which takes me back to my master new posts list and right click/open new window again...

I find this approach works nicely for me and if for some reason I want to look at a parent to the individual post I'm reading, I click on "go to parent msg" on the upper right of the individual post...

Hope this helps...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 05:16 PM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Thanks for the kind comments regarding my photos. This is my main hobby, and of course learning to use Photoshop 7, and Elements.
I live on a river in Connecticut (an estuary, actually, about half a mile from its outlet in Long Island Sound), and I too have many photos of water birds.

In fact, looking at your album inspired me to clean up my collection — hope to have them available this weekend. Water birds are something else!

I am not much of a photo technician, but do like our dramatic birds!

Old 03-05-2005, 08:33 PM   #9
JVegVT

Quote:
Anyone else feeling like me, Or am I missing something ?
Yeah! I have another thread going on my troubles with the forum software. I'm never sure I'm seeing all new messages since my last visit.

I guess we just have to experiment until we find our groove.<g>
--Judy M.
JVegVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 12:46 AM   #10
lurkalot

Sounds great where your living, I too live near a river, but I bet it's no where near as glamorous as yours.

The pics in my album are a few of mine, just uploaded to test my gallery, this will be updated soon. (if I get a chance to use my camera).

I will look forward to seeing some of your photos.