DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 03-12-2007, 01:24 AM   #1
Mike
Staff

Default Travelling with photos

We've booked a holiday travelling around Morocco and I thought I'd take a couple of cameras. But then I thought I'd either need to buy a lot of memory cards for the cameras or some other device to dump the photos onto.

I'll need something that will handle Nikon RAW files as well as jpegs. I started comparing prices and then discovered I could buy a second-hand iBook for about the same money as a good photo storage device.

So I'm wondering if a second-hand iBook might be a better bet -- just as rugged and somewhat more versatile.

I think I need some advice.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:16 PM   #2
Howard White

For US$150, you can get this.

It's a compact disc burner that takes a variety of memory cards and writes the contents to disc. No computer needed.

I have one. It does what it says it does.

HW
Howard White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
So I'm wondering if a second-hand iBook might be a better bet -- just as rugged and somewhat more versatile.
I've got a Vosonic image tank with a 80GB HD - and I love it!

Really rugged; it shows images, videos, serves as an MP3 player, can take memos (sound)... connect it to a TV to give a sldeshow or play the videos you took with your camera (it understands several TV standards).

As shown here. I got a spare battery, too, just in case.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:56 PM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
We've booked a holiday travelling around Morocco
BTW, I had a peek - that's disgustingly expensive... see what my friend just did (22 days, hotel tour, from EUR 1300).

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 12:19 AM   #5
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
I've got a Vosonic image tank with a 80GB HD - and I love it!
I did manage to find this but it's even more expensive than a second-hand iBook.

www.welshframing.com
Old 03-13-2007, 12:23 AM   #6
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
BTW, I had a peek - that's disgustingly expensive... see what my friend just did (22 days, hotel tour, from EUR 1300).
It is. We did book a cheaper holiday in Morocco for January but a couple of days before wwe were due to depart the travel agent said they hadn't got around to booking the flight so we couldn't go.

This time we thought we'd try a travel agent with a good reputation regardless of cost.

www.welshframing.com
Old 03-13-2007, 12:25 AM   #7
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard White View Post
For US$150, you can get this.

It's a compact disc burner that takes a variety of memory cards and writes the contents to disc. No computer needed.

I have one. It does what it says it does.

HW
Thanks. I think I want to be able to view the photos which that doesn't seem to allow. Another problem is that I've not been able to find it in the UK.

www.welshframing.com
Old 03-13-2007, 05:35 AM   #8
dthomsen8

Default Memory chip to CD services

I found camera memory chip to CD services in Malaysia, Australia, and the UK at fairly reasonable prices, a lot less than $150, but maybe you take a whole lot more photos than I did.

Perhaps you should think about the weight and inconvenience of what you are traveling with, when considering various hardware devices, compared with more memory chips for the camera, and finding and paying for the copying at local photo shops or Internet cafes.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 07:22 PM   #9
BobRoosth

I just returned from two weeks in Israel. Two digital cameras. I really preferred having my notebook computer. I shoot Canon RAW. Filled my cards several times. Plenty of storage and I took an external USB drive to create a second backup. Carried the drive separate from the laptop when I flew. And I could check my email when there was an internet connection.

I did get tired of carrying the weight of the computer, but short of getting something lighter, I don't see a good alternative. I don't trust CD backups in stores. Besides, they take a long time and don't work well with multi-gig memory cards. DVD backups take even longer. The used iBook sounds like a good deal. But please consider making a second copy if you will be erasing your memory cards.

One other advantage of having a computer. You can convert the RAW files for viewing. I doubt any of the 'dumber' devices can do that?
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 02:23 AM   #10
Mike
Staff

Good idea about the backup. Weight is a concern but I thought a backpack-style camera bag would probably help. I'm rather taken with this one but I'm likely to end up with something cheaper.

www.welshframing.com