DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 03-11-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default CRT vs. LCD sizing

I'm not sure I can ask my question in a coherent way but....

A number of years ago, I bought my sister a laptop (Dell) with a 15" screen (obviously LCD) and I noticed as I was getting her system set up for her, that it was essentially the same as my (then) 17" CRT in terms of screen real estate (given the res I set for it which I don't now remember) and I can remembering thinking that was an interesting observation and have kept it in the back of my mind.

In the Actual Browser Sizes (maybe) thread, KT mentioned her LCD monitor size and res settings--20"W x 12.5"H, 1920 x 1200 pixels--and I mentioned that my CRT monitor is 19" (diagonal measure) with a res setting of 1152x864.

I hope to be buying my first LCD panel soon and I was thinking that I would want to get something in the 20-22"-ish range.

This has lead me to again think about what I found with my sister's (now old) 15" screen laptop (and her new 17" screen laptop which appears to be the "same" as my now 19" CRT).

Is there some sort of "formula" (for lack of a better term) for the difference between the "size" of an LCD screen as compared to a CRT--do you understand what I'm really asking???

In practical terms, given my limited experience, would a 19" LCD actually display more than a 19" CRT and if so, is there some sort of calculation I could do that would allow me to make a better judgement of what size LCD to get?

Thanks...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:47 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
In practical terms, given my limited experience, would a 19" LCD actually display more than a 19" CRT and if so, is there some sort of calculation I could do that would allow me to make a better judgement of what size LCD to get?
I’m a dunce about this, but believe it has to do with pixel size. My LCD pixels are much smaller than on my old CRTs. That is why the image seems sharper (more pixels per linear inch, more data to describe the curve or whatever).

Now someone who knows what really goes on can tell both of us.

Last edited by annc; 03-11-2007 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Changed LCD to CRT for clarity.
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:22 PM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
LCD screens have a "native resolution" that is the resolution in px which gives the best image. This is because each pixel is a physical structure in the screen.Try to drive it to a lower or higher resolution and the image will be nowhere as clear. A CRT has a maximum resolution, but drive it below this and you will usually get a clear image.

A 19inch LCD will probably have a native resolution of 1280x1024. This would obviously be different with a widescreen monitor. As to whether it would display more, that depends on the max resolotion of the CRT you are using for comparison. There are other considerations, such as response times, important for gaming or video editing. See this review article.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 04:29 PM   #4
Michael Rowley

Terrie:

Quote:
KT mentioned her LCD monitor size and res settings--20"W x 12.5"H
If KT's monitor has a viewing size 20 in wide and 12.5 in high, it will have a diagonal appreciably bigger than 19 in (ask someone younger to do the calculation). The bezel of an LCD monitor also covers less than in a CRT monitor. But the colour consistency of LCD monitors is said to be not as good as that of CRTs; but perhaps recent screens have improved.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:10 AM   #5
Mike
Staff

There's one other difference between laptop and other screens and that is that we generally sit much closer to laptop screens. I normally view my laptop screen from about 12 inches or less whereas I would never sit that close to a desktop screen.

That means that I can use a smaller laptop screen displaying more pixels and, hence, smaller type than would be comfortable with a desktop screen.

(My spell checker tells me that 'pixels' should be 'pixies' -- maybe that's what's behind the scenes of the screen making everything work.)

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 03:29 PM   #6
Paul

The viewable area of an LCD display is larger than the viewable area of a CRT display of the same nominal size. I have generally figured that the difference is about an inch -- when I replaced a 17-inch CRT in my office with a 17-inch LCD, everyone thought it was larger.

The preferred resolution for the LCD also affects the size you might prefer. In many cases, the optimal resolution will be higher than you had been using on the CRT. This makes things sharper but may also make you want to use large fonts, if you don't now. In a previous job I concluded that we could not switch to LCD displays, because the only application we absolutely had to use (for data, not publishing) required small fonts and 800 × 600 resolution.

You probably will not sit closer to an LCD on a desktop -- in fact you may sit a bit farther because it is shallower and can stand farther back on the desk.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 02:42 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kelvyn:LCD screens have a "native resolution" that is the resolution in px which gives the best image.
Right...I'm aware of that but I think I wasn't factoring that into my thinking. I took a look at that link (thanks for that) and it was helpful--not something I usually say about about.com pages which usually dirve me nuts...'-}}

>>There are other considerations, such as response times, important for gaming or video editing.

Yes...and viewing angle too. I was just trying to get a sense of sizing at this point...

Thanks!

Terrie
Old 03-13-2007, 02:44 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
mike: There's one other difference between laptop and other screens and that is that we generally sit much closer to laptop screens.
That's a good point...

>>(My spell checker tells me that 'pixels' should be 'pixies' -- maybe that's what's behind the scenes of the screen making everything work.)

ROFL!!! Pixies and hamsters (for power)...'-}}

Terrie
Old 03-13-2007, 02:51 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
paul: The viewable area of an LCD display is larger than the viewable area of a CRT display of the same nominal size. I have generally figured that the difference is about an inch -- when I replaced a 17-inch CRT in my office with a 17-inch LCD, everyone thought it was larger.
Oh good!!! It's not just me...that's basically what I observed...'-}}

>>The preferred resolution for the LCD also affects the size you might prefer. In many cases, the optimal resolution will be higher than you had been using on the CRT.

I do think that's the crux of the matter...I hadn't paid enough attention to the native res on the LCD and I think you're right that it's higher on the LCD--I can't do a comparison as I don't have my old 17" monitor anymore...

>>This makes things sharper but may also make you want to use large fonts, if you don't now.

One of the first things I do with a new CRT monitor is, in addition to mucking about with the colors, is to set the res to my liking and then tweak the Windows font sizes in the Appearance tab--my overall system setting is small fonts @96dpi...

>>You probably will not sit closer to an LCD on a desktop -- in fact you may sit a bit farther because it is shallower and can stand farther back on the desk.

My sister's old laptop is now my backup system and fortunately, I've not had to use it much--other than getting it set up for my use--and I find it not the most pleasant of viewing experiences so I hope I never have to use it for any length of time...

Terrie
Old 03-13-2007, 07:19 PM   #10
BobRoosth

I use a 19" Viewsonic CRT running at 1600x1200. Cost about $230+shipping. Display is 14.25"x10.75". My wife has a 19" LCD, 1280x1024. Viewable display of 15"x11.75". Also cost about $230.

But I really like the additional pixels and I would have to go to a 20" LCD to get to 1600x1200 for several times the cost. And, FWIIW, Viewsonic used to make a version of this CRT that would go to 2400x????. My daughter has that one and loves the really hi-rez. No LCD is going that high any time soon on a 19" or 20" model.

As far as color goes, I think many of the current LCDs can be tweaked to have pretty good color, but a calibrator is really necessary. Pantone makes one that sells for under $80.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote