DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 03-05-2007, 03:30 PM   #1
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)
Default Garamond on the Mac?

Hey, folks,

This is a web question, but about fonts.

On my new page, maryhynes.org, I'm going against my normal custom and using Garamond as the first font choice for the nav buttons. I usually stick to sans-serif fonts, but as far as I know Garamond is usually available for Windows users. It's also very close to the font used in the logo, which is not a common font.

I have the usual backup fonts listed, but is Garamond a common font on Macs and, if so, is it the same name?

Thanks,

Old 03-06-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

FWIW, a version of Garamond's installed with Office and maybe some other software, but Garamond isn't included with Windows.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 11:22 AM   #3
Bo Aakerstrom

This list of Win/Mac fonts was mentioned in another thread on this forum.

I read in a survey somewhere that Garamond is installed on about 72% of Win OS systems.

I'm sure there is something like it on Mac OS, but I wouldn't know what that is, perhaps someone on this forum knows more about that.

Old 03-06-2007, 12:06 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Garamond doesn't display particularly well on my screen, particularly at smaller sizes. If you want to go to a serif font for the buttons, then why not choose Georgia?

Old 03-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoyle View Post
On my new page, maryhynes.org, I'm going against my normal custom and using Garamond as the first font choice for the nav buttons. I usually stick to sans-serif fonts, but as far as I know Garamond is usually available for Windows users. It's also very close to the font used in the logo, which is not a common font.

I have the usual backup fonts listed, but is Garamond a common font on Macs and, if so, is it the same name?
On this forum, the Mac using designer/typesetters are likely to have many different Garamonds. Adobe bundled Adobe Garamond Pro with CS, CS1, and CS2; and then bundled Adobe Garamond Premier Pro with CS2. So many Mac users (especially here) are likely to have one or both of those.

I also checked the fonts that shipped with various recent versions of the Mac OS; no Garamond among them. Microsoft Office 2004, no Garamond. But I have no idea what percentage of Mac users that would get you.

But the same Garamond that many Windows users have was bundled with H-P printers at some point; I got it with my H-P 5000 6 (or more) years ago. But I don’t think they still do that (at least I didn’t get any fonts with my H-P 2605, bought a few months ago).

So, if Mac users had an older H-P printer and kept the fonts, they would probably be picked up by “Garamond.” Others would need “Adobe Garamond Pro” or “Adobe Garamond Premier Pro.”

Last edited by ktinkel; 03-06-2007 at 01:15 PM. Reason: correction
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:29 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
I'm going against my normal custom and using Garamond as the first font choice for the nav buttons.
BTW, Garamond (the one found on many Windows machines) is not optimized for low-res. It was intended for high-res output, not screen reading.

Your viewers would be better off with Georgia (and maybe even with Times).

PS — The CodeStyle lists show that about 73% of Windows users have Garamond installed. The font doesn’t appear at all on the top font lists for Mac and Unix users. So if they are right, don’t count on finding Garamond on most computers of any platform.

Last edited by ktinkel; 03-06-2007 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Add PS
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 02:19 PM   #7
dacoyle

Thanks for the info, all.

I do have Georgia set as the first backup font. I chose Garamond (set large) because it's very similar to the logo font.

I'll keep playing around with it.

Old 03-06-2007, 08:10 PM   #8
dacoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
Garamond doesn't display particularly well on my screen, particularly at smaller sizes. If you want to go to a serif font for the buttons, then why not choose Georgia?
Actually, the current version is using Georgia. Garamond isn't as common as I hoped, but Georgia is also "close enough" to the logo font.

Old 03-07-2007, 11:55 AM   #9
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Actually, the current version is using Georgia. Garamond isn't as common as I hoped, but Georgia is also "close enough" to the logo font.
Much better choice!

(I'm a Garamond fan, btw, but for print only.)

Old 03-07-2007, 02:46 PM   #10
dacoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
Much better choice!

(I'm a Garamond fan, btw, but for print only.)
Many years ago, I used a variant of Garamond in a line of tech support manuals. It was a great font, but I don't remember the name.

I think this is the first time I've intentionally used a serif font online, but I think it works well for the navigation and H1. (much like using a sans-serif font for print headings...)