DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 03-04-2007, 11:49 PM   #1
marlene
Staff

Default Hard drive backup software

I'm in software hell! I'm using XP, SP2.

My Norton Antivirus 2006 subscription ran out, so I bought and installed NAV 2007. I also installed a newer (free) version of ZoneAlarm than the version I had before.

Now, DriveImage 7 won't run:

Unable to load configuration information.
COM object with CLSID [69C3D4B8-ACC2-41F0-85D6-403C53A9A38D] is either not valid or not registered.
Error creating view.
The view is not installed correctly.

I tried shutting down Zonealarm. I tried to shut down NAV, but it doesn't seem possible. I changed the config settings to turn off all possible functions for 5 hours. Didn't make any difference.

So I need to either figure out why DriveImage won't run (it's gotta have something to do with either the new NAV or the new ZA), or buy another backup program immediately. I might try uninstalling and reinstalling DriveImage, but first I have to find my original disk (or download) plus the updater(s).

As much as I like DriveImage, I'm not sure I want to upgrade to the Symantec version.

What else is available that works like DriveImage (lets me create backups with various levels of compression -- although I always used "standard" -- and, more important, will let me browse the backup file so I can select and restore individual files if necessary. Maybe all backup programs allow browsing/selecting/restoring individual files I don't know. FWIW, I back up to an external drive.

I need something VERY reliable, needless to say ...

TIA,

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 05:20 AM   #2
George

Marlene,

I'll bet it's the NAV. You could find out by temporarily uninstalling. Did they give you a 30 day money back? I'd think about it. If the anti-virus is playing with one program, it will play with another.

I'm using AVG. I installed the free version when I needed something fast, and it worked fine. You could test it on your back-up software and see how it goes. The paid version is like $35 for two years.

Both AVG and Zone Alarm work sleek on my computer. [I also use Memory Boost by Tennibril for memory management (the best $20 I've spent)].

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:00 AM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

Usually NAV and ZA have icons in the tray, where they can be right-clicked and turned off. You don't have this?
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:03 AM   #4
Kelvyn
Staff

I agree with George. This is most likely caused by NAV. There have been plenty of problem reports with NAV2007 - see this blog for just a gripes. Personally the first thing I do with a new PC is to remove Norton and install something a lot more reliable and less intrusive. I have 6 live machines here at the moment, three running McAfee, two using AVG and a laptop with AntiVir.

For backups I have Acronis True Image which is pretty good, and also use Backup Platinum Agent which I use to back up a range of files from the loacl machines to a network drive.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 09:20 AM   #5
marlene
Staff

I finally found out why Drive Image wouldn't run. MSCORLIB.DLL had somehow become farkled. I suspect the NAV install had something to do with it.

After wasting a lot of time trying to find the .DLL at Microsoft (found lots of info in the KB, but not the actual file, at least not the version I needed), I finally uninstalled and reinstalled Drive Image. Now it runs again, but I wish I had just cut to the chase and done the reinstall first instead of spending all that time googling the problem and trying to find the .DLL online.

I had bought the new version of NAV a couple of months ago when an online retailer (probably buy.com or Fry's) was selling it real cheap (big rebate), so it's well past any money-back time period. But it was so cheap, I would not bat an eye if I had to trash it and buy something else.

I did have to find something else for my old W2k computer, since the new NAV won't run on anything older than XP. Just so happened that I had bought a flash drive last month that included a free, multi-computer version of CA Antivirus (didn't even know about that until I received the flash drive!). Otherwise I probably would have tried AVG.

mxh
Old 03-05-2007, 09:25 AM   #6
marlene
Staff

No problem shutting down ZA.

My old NAV 2006 could, IIRC, be shut down by right-clicking and turning it off (comes in handy when installing new software, since I've always been told to shut down virus software before installs).

But in NAV 2007, clicking on the icon just gives me the option to open the Norton Protection Center. Then I have to go to Settings, which lets me turn off different aspects of the program for certain time periods, including until the next reboot or permanently. It's a PITA because I have to do this with about six different functions of the program.

I can't actually shut down the Protection Center itself. At least I can't find a way.

mxh
Old 03-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #7
marlene
Staff

Interesting blog entry. Even if I keep using this new version of NAV, it may very well be the last one I ever buy. I strongly suspect that it caused the untimely death of the .dll that Drive Image needed.

I just hate it when I try to do something as simple as installing a new version of a piece of software and it causes a whole cascade of problems.

I did solve the Drive Image problem, but if it croaks again I'll look into the backup programs you mentioned.

mxh
Old 03-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Acronis' drive imaging software seems highly thought of.

But I'd start by uninstalling NortonAnything, breaking the CD into small pieces, putting the pieces out in the street, dousing them with gasoline, lighting them then scattering the ashes. After stomping them well. And spitting on them. Chickens and black candles optional.

As George mentions, AVG works well with ZA and is easy to get along with. NOD32's also good.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 06:30 PM   #9
George

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene View Post
I finally found out why Drive Image wouldn't run. MSCORLIB.DLL had somehow become farkled. I suspect the NAV install had something to do with it.

After wasting a lot of time trying to find the .DLL at Microsoft (found lots of info in the KB, but not the actual file, at least not the version I needed), I finally uninstalled and reinstalled Drive Image. Now it runs again, but I wish I had just cut to the chase and done the reinstall first instead of spending all that time googling the problem and trying to find the .DLL online.
This is interesting! How did you determine that MSCORLIB.DLL had been corrupted, (whatever that is) (probably in the NAV install)?? Is this an XP file, or is it added with the Drive Image installation?? I would not have known what to look for, even if suspecting a file had become corrupted somehow, but I would have tried a system restore, assuming I had a date selected, which I almost never do, but I promise myself to start doing it now (I mean tomorrow, you know).

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote