DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Old 02-18-2007, 01:59 AM   #1
ntc

Default Clipping paths or masks (Photoshop)

Hi

Can anyone help me, how do you get rid of everything in your photo except the main subject making a clean line around the remaining image I have Corel 12 can it be done with this?

Thanks if you can help

Woodie
ntc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 05:10 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntc View Post
Can anyone help me, how do you get rid of everything in your photo except the main subject making a clean line around the remaining image I have Corel 12 can it be done with this?
I moved your message and changed the title to encourage more responses. But tell me in case I have misunderstood: you want to preserve a part of the image in a clean square outline while the rest of the image disappears. Right?

If so, it is called cropping. I do not use Corel Draw so don’t know where you will find the command, but it may be called Crop. Usisng it should give you a marquee cursor — draw around the area you want to preserve and click on Crop, and you should get what you need.

I hope a Corel Draw user will pop up to give you more specifics.

Old 02-18-2007, 07:48 AM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

Hi Woodie.

The CorelDraw Suite 12 includes CorelPhoto-Paint 12. This program is specifically for photos.

On the left side of the Photo-Paint screen is the toolbar. The crop tool is third from the top. Click on it and then drag a rectangle on the photo. Once you have the rectangle, you can adjust it by pulling on the nodes (little boxes) that are on the rectangle. When you are ready to crop, just double click inside the box. Or, right click and pick Crop to Selection.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:15 AM   #4
ntc

Hi

May have put this across badly sorry I am aware of the crop tool what it is that I need to do is the outline of a car or a person then remove all the background so that I can use it as a layer on a diferent back ground.

Cheers
ntc.
Old 02-18-2007, 10:22 AM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
I need to do is the outline of a car or a person then remove all the background so that I can use it as a layer on a different back ground.
I see. But I think I need to pass this to someone else. I have Photo-Paint, but generally use Photoshop. So I'm all thumbs when it comes to extraction techniques in Photo-Paint.
Old 02-18-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
May have put this across badly sorry I am aware of the crop tool what it is that I need to do is the outline of a car or a person then remove all the background so that I can use it as a layer on a diferent back ground.
Aha. Now I get it. (I told you I could be mistaken! )

Like others here, I am more familiar with Photoshop. There you would be trying to create a clipping path. This involves selecting (often tedious) the wanted area, then using a function in the software to draw a Bézier line around it.

There are probably other methods, but since I don’t know the Corel products (and am not really much of a Photoshop whiz either), I will stop there. See if you have “clipping path” in your Corel product search — perhaps that is a good starting point.

Meanwhile I will fix the title of this to see if we can provoke someone smart to chime in. Good luck with it.

Old 02-18-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

To add to what Kathleen said, Photo-Paint also has a background remover, a color-based selector, an edge selecter, and masking. I didn't mention these before because it is not uncommon for software (including Photo-Paint and Photoshop) to have one or more tools that just don't work well. So I would be at a loss to tell you which one to try first.

I should also mention that there is a very good newsgroup (support forum) specifically for Photo-Paint 12. Here's the Corel webpage that can get you started with this.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:22 AM   #8
ntc

Thanks for the feed back, I have photshop also can you help explan how I can do this in PS
Old 02-19-2007, 11:15 AM   #9
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Thanks for the feed back, I have photshop also can you help explan how I can do this in PS
Maybe the easiest way to start is to use the Photoshop Extraction tool, which is found under Filter|Extract. In this tool you will highlight the edge, fill in the area that is the object (car or person), touch up the edge, and click okay. The first time will probably be disappointing. It takes some practice to get this right.

I should also mention one other thing. And I'll use the example of a gray car with a blue sky behind it. In a photo, the point where the car meets the sky there is no clean line. If there were, the edge would look jagged and unreal. So the transition point consists of pixels that are blue-gray, to fool the eye into seeing a smooth transition. If you make a perfect cut at the edge of the car, and then place it on a red background, it will look like a bad paste-up job because there will be a blue-gray transition point around the car where it should be red-gray.

Problem is, I can't simply explain how to get rid of this, because there are different ways, depending on the situation. And sometimes Photoshop's extraction tool takes care of all this. But I mention this so you can keep it in mind as you deal with edges.

Anyway, try the extraction tool and see if it works for you. If not, I'll explain another method. There are actually many methods.
Old 02-21-2007, 01:59 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
woodie: Can anyone help me, how do you get rid of everything in your photo except the main subject making a clean line around the remaining image
Now that we're talking Photoshop...'-}

First (no matter what photo editing software you are using), a lot will depend on what exactly the image is like.

I have not found Extract (Filter > Extract) all that useful and I use Corel Knockout myself but try the Extract. Here are some other tools that might work also:

1. Freehand using the lasso tool...don't let go of the mouse...'-}}

2. Magic wand tool: if you have say a solid-ish colored background that is distinct from the foreground you want to keep. Play with the tolerance level to adjust how much is selected.

3. Magnetic Lasso tool...play with the tolerance setting to have it hew closely to the edge of what you are selecting...

4. Path Selection tool which has a bit of a learning curve but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty sophisticated...

With any and all of the above, go into Quick Mask to refine the edge of your selection...you probably want to use a hard edge brush if you are going to do a clipping path...you can flip in and out of Quick Mask to see how it looks...

Once you get the image you want selected from the background and the background is deleted (I'm assuming you want to delete the background), then in Photoshop, save the selection (Select > Save Selection).

Assuming the selection is loaded:

1. Open the Paths palette

2. Click on the Paths palette option (little right facing arrow) and choose "Make Work Path"

3. From the Paths palette options, choose "Save Path" and this will create your clipping path

4. If you have deleted the background and want it to stay empty, then save the file as a PSD. If you didn't delete the background, then you can save as a PSD or as TIF...

Let me know if you have questions...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote