DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > How to Use the Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2007, 04:23 AM   #1
dthomsen8
Member
 
dthomsen8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19130
Posts: 2,158
Default Guests become members?

"What's Going On? Currently Active Users: 108 (2 members and 106 guests)"

This is what I see just before I post this message. 53 guests to two members is quite a ratio. What can we do to get some of those guests to become members of the forum?

Exploring further, by looking at the list of those online, I discover that many of the "Guests" are actually search engine spiders or bots, but hardly all. The question remains, can we get more members from the guests?

Last edited by dthomsen8; 02-09-2007 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Added remark.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:07 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
looking at the list of those online, I discover that many of the "Guests" are actually search engine spiders or bots, but hardly all. The question remains, can we get more members from the guests?
Probably not much. Some people drop by to get one factoid and once they have it, off they go.

Some people join, and do about the same thing.

Meanwhile, almost all of the guests most of the time are spiders; that is how we get more members.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:19 AM   #3
dthomsen8
Member
 
dthomsen8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19130
Posts: 2,158
Default More members by invitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Meanwhile, almost all of the guests most of the time are spiders; that is how we get more members.
Another way we get more members is by recruiting them. I suggest the forum to people learning to develop websites, and other techies interested in fonts and printing issues. Many of these people come and go, too, once their project or topic is exhausted, but perhaps some might stay on.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:31 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
Another way we get more members is by recruiting them. I suggest the forum to people learning to develop websites, and other techies interested in fonts and printing issues. Many of these people come and go, too, once their project or topic is exhausted, but perhaps some might stay on.
That’s true. It is always worth inviting people to come.

I should also have mentioned the most important thing that makes the forum strong: good discussions on useful topics. The more of that, the better. Getting newcomers in to ask their questions is a great way to start, too.

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2014 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.