DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-05-2007, 03:19 AM   #1
siegy

Default Fonts self installing from "private" folder

I'm a fontaholic and have over 3000 fonts stored on the PC. Only what is absolutely necessary (system fonts, TNR, Tahoma etc a total of about 90 TTF/OTF files and those heaps of system fonts with cryptic names) are in the "Fonts" Folder.

All the rest of my fonts are in a "Fonts2" folder under Windows. I use Font Navigator to keep everything under control and to weed out what I am not currently using, trying to keep the count under 150 or so installed fonts.

OK - here's the problem. A couple of days ago I noticed several fonts from the Fonts2 folder, which I was sure I had uninstalled the day before, were once again in the installed fonts list. These were not by any stretch of the imagination fonts that could interest Windows in the slightest ("Cobb Shin Stock Cuts", "Gabriel's Angels", "KR Valentine Borders" - to name a couple of them.) Since then I have uninstalled these fonts (about 15 of them) again and again and they turn up anyway again in the installed fonts list at some point. Not always immediately.

I deleted the FontNav *.fdb file - didn't help.
I resorted my fonts to make sure I hadn't somehow put fonts incorrectly in the main fonts folder, which then would be automatically installed somehow. Nope.
I made sure all programs that might be using these fonts were closed before I uninstalled them. Nope
I shut down the computer and started again after I'd uninstalled the fonts. Nope, they came back.

The only thing that seems to prevent them from showing up again is to remove them from the Fonts2 folder altogether, certainly not a reasonable solution.

Is there a file under Windows that tells windows what's installed? A file that maybe got corrupted? The whole thing is too weird but I'm at a loss to know what I should do next.

siegy is offline   Reply With Quote