DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 02-03-2007, 05:51 AM   #1
CarlSeiler

Default Tidy Help

Anyone here use Tidy? I want to know if there's a setting that will prevent it from converting a numeric entity into a character? For example, it seems to convert "m" to "m" and so forth. The -n switch converts named entities into numeric entities, but with this option Tidy still converts simple numeric entities to their characters, I guess if they're printable characters under ascii 128. I've been looking through the docs, and while there are lots of configuration options, I can't seem to find what I'm looking for.
CarlSeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:09 AM   #2
CarlSeiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSeiler View Post
For example, it seems to convert "m" to "m" and so forth.
Oops. Just to clarify here, that should read 'seems to convert "&_#109;" to "m" and so forth.' My characters got stripped--I can't seem to figure out how to escape this in the forum software. That is, Tidy converts the ampersand#109semicolon group into an m.
Old 02-18-2007, 05:29 AM   #3
iamback

Well, I don't know if Tidy has such a setting - but why would you want to use numeric entities for normal, pure ASCII characters? Just curious...

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
CarlSeiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
why would you want to use numeric entities for normal, pure ASCII characters? Just curious...

Because of post #7 in this thread. I had done a mixture of different characters only to find that they'd all been converted back into plaintext somewhere along the way. I found out the culprit is Tidy.
Old 02-19-2007, 04:48 AM   #5
CarlSeiler

I posted my question to the Tidy mailing list at w3c (under my usual alias) and got a response.
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/...nMar/0040.html

The answer is no, you can't do it, and the guy even guessed at why I wanted to, and suggested a post-processing script. Which might be a good idea if I had some idea of how to accomplish that. :-S I'm assuming you'd do it with Awk or Perl.

carl
Old 02-19-2007, 05:50 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
The answer is no, you can't do it, and the guy even guessed at why I wanted to, and suggested a post-processing script. Which might be a good idea if I had some idea of how to accomplish that. :-S I'm assuming you'd do it with Awk or Perl.
What about doing your encoding after all the editing with Tidy is done? Or would that be too time-consuming?

Old 02-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #7
CarlSeiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
What about doing your encoding after all the editing with Tidy is done? Or would that be too time-consuming?
Doing it by hand would be a bit too time-consuming. Set it and forget it would be best. That's why I wish Tidy didn't mess things up or at least I could automate things with awk if I could figure out a way.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:20 AM   #8
CarlSeiler

OK, after posting my question to the HTML Tidy list mentioned above, I have replies off-list. One of them was from a Tidy developer who pointed out at in the 2007-02-11 version of the Tidy source there's an option called "--preserve-entities" which does exactly what I need.

Problem was, there wasn't any recent Windows binary that was available for download from the Sourceforge site. So, what I did was get Cygwin and compile under Cygwin. The Cygwin executable works under regular Windows after I move cygwin1.dll where Windows can see it. Of course, after I compiled it myself, the developer pointed out a Windows binary of HTML Tidy available at Dirk Paehl's web site.

I'm currently using my Cygwin compiled version and it seems to do just what I need.
Carl
Old 02-24-2007, 11:45 AM   #9
iamback

Quote:
I'm currently using my Cygwin compiled version and it seems to do just what I need.
That's great, congratulations.

Only after posting my question did I realize what might be the reason; and for preserving obfuscation of course it's reasonable to be able to specify that to Tidy. Just strange that it's a compile-time option rather than a run-time option since most of the time you'd want to have it do exactly what it does by default: converting entities for printable ASCII (at least) into their corresponding characters. It sounds to me like if there is a compile-time option now it should not be too hard for a programmer to turn that into a run-time option.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 01:44 PM   #10
CarlSeiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Just strange that it's a compile-time option rather than a run-time option since most of the time you'd want to have it do exactly what it does by default: converting entities for printable ASCII (at least) into their corresponding characters. It sounds to me like if there is a compile-time option now it should not be too hard for a programmer to turn that into a run-time option.
Just to clarify here: It is a run-time option. The reason I needed to compile it was that the option is new and not in the older binary versions for Windows that are available for download as listed on the Sourceforge site. I needed to compile my own just to get the current version. This run-time option has only been available since 2007-02-11. In the meantime, someone pointed out the more up-to-date Windows binary available on Dirk Paehl's site, making the compilation even less necessary.