DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Images

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-02-2007, 07:30 AM   #9
john_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
Maybe it can be. Have you checked with ACD Systems to see if their database can export to standard formats.
Brilliant! Many thanks - I'd tried the database export feature before but couldn't make any sense of what it was doing or the files that it produced. Your suggestion prompted me to try again and I must have ticked some different boxes because it produced an XML file of sorts with various categories and my comments and keywords.

That's great news because if I can export to a readable file then it should be possible to import to another app if need be. Might need to tinker with the format but at least the information can be generated and I'm now a Happy Chappie!

Quote:
Some photo formats support embedding IPTC standard data. I'm pretty sure that this includes JPEG, TIFF, PSD, and possible a few RAW formats. But I don't have any experience doing this; I only know that it exists.

I'd be concerned about the reliability of the application that does the internal tagging, so my photos don't get trashed. There also might be a way to take a photo managers database information and put it into the IPTC slots. But I don't know how risky this is.
Uh-oh. IPTC? This is new to me so I'll need to investigate. I take your point about the danger of corrupting valuable files. Hadn't occurred to me and I guess, at the very least, that you'd want to keep copies which didn't have extraneous data embedded in them.

Thanks again!

John
john_b is offline   Reply With Quote