DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 01-22-2007, 12:39 AM   #41
marlene
Staff

Quote:
Gives me a great idea for "honoring" my husband's next "0" birthday in 3.5 years!
Well, you've got plenty of time! Just don't wait until the last minute like I did. I procrastinated and ended up not having time to explore my options with various service bureaus. I had to send the files out right away to avoid paying rush charges. It ended up costing me $100 ($75 for a 20 x 24 color print plus $25 for the coating to protect from smudging).

That was the biggest expense. I bought two stock photos from istockphoto.com for $5 each and bought a can of spray adhesive for about $5.

It was all worth it to see the look on the guy's face -- when we presented him with the six-pack, he first thought it was just a real, albeit unusual, brand of beer. When he finally noticed that his own photo was on the label, he was just stunned. It was priceless.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 02:14 PM   #42
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene View Post
When he finally noticed that his own photo was on the label, he was just stunned. It was priceless.
I'll bet!

Old 01-22-2007, 03:00 PM   #43
terrie
Staff

Quote:
elyse: Best I can determine, their products are now distributed between office supply warehouse stores and card stores (Hallmark Gold Crown in particular).
Yeah...I think you are right although I've not been in a Hallmark store in many, many eons...

Terrie
terrie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:05 PM   #44
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I'm a sucker for art stores and hardware stores and stationery stores (I don't think they exist anymore)...'-}}
Staples (and others of its ilk) have taken over where stationery stores left off. And, to a lesser extent, art supply stores.

Old 01-22-2007, 08:51 PM   #45
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
Yeah...I think you are right although I've not been in a Hallmark store in many, many eons...
Well, to see what I mean, if you're going to visit one try to find one of their larger, "Gold Crown" establishments. They can be pretty fun to browse. In fact, this is reminding me that, soon I need to go into ours with a complete list of the year's birthday and whatever else cards we'll need. I like to buy as much of them in one fell swoop to save running in for onesies and twosies all the time. I also intend to build a small stash of wedding and other life event cards, because we never seem to realize (for instance) that here we are getting ready to go to a wedding and we don't have a card. I used to be very good at remembering cards and gifts, but for the past six or seven years I've really fallen down on the job. Tsk!

Old 01-23-2007, 04:16 AM   #46
dthomsen8

Default Stationery Stores

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC View Post
Yeah, stationery stores were fun, weren't they? Best I can determine, their products are now distributed between office supply warehouse stores and card stores (Hallmark Gold Crown in particular).
The office supply warehouse stores brought prices down, but often they have office quantity packages. When all I wanted was one envelope for 9x12 photos, not several or a great many envelopes, I walked out without what I wanted yesterday. Oh, they had a shelf tag for what I wanted, but they were out of stock.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 03:27 PM   #47
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kt: Staples (and others of its ilk) have taken over where stationery stores left off. And, to a lesser extent, art supply stores.
I think you are right and they aren't as much fun as the old stationery stores for some reason...maybe because they are so large...

Terrie
Old 01-23-2007, 03:29 PM   #48
terrie
Staff

Quote:
elyse: if you're going to visit one try to find one of their larger, "Gold Crown" establishments
I kind of swore off Hallmark--Gold Crown or otherwise--can't really remember why now but I create my own cards now and very rarely buy commercially done cards...

Terrie
Old 01-23-2007, 07:22 PM   #49
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
The office supply warehouse stores brought prices down, but often they have office quantity packages. When all I wanted was one envelope for 9x12 photos, not several or a great many envelopes, I walked out without what I wanted yesterday. Oh, they had a shelf tag for what I wanted, but they were out of stock.
I was very sad when our local Stockwell & Binney store closed in the 1990s. I, too, often needed just one or two of a particular size envelope, or a single business form.