DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 01-16-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
Heerko

Default footnotes with column in Indesign

Hello
I am trying to import a wordfile including a lot of footnotes in Indesign. When I import the file in a two column textfile Indesigns puts the footnote under the right column and under the left column... depending on the linked note in the text.
But, I rather have all of the notes under the right colum (or at an entirely different position on the page).
Also the notes are seperated from eachother. Can I undo this and make one textframe of all the notes?

Sorry for my english.
Heerko
The Netherlands
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	column copy.jpg
Views:	615
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	829  
Heerko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 01:37 AM   #2
DTP Guy

Hi Heerko

I think in InDesign that's the way it's (automatically) done - the footnotes will travel with the text and be placed at the bottom of whatever text frame the reference is in.

The way to do this as you describe would be to not import the footnotes into InDesign automatically from Word but to copy and paste them into a separate story and use a separate linked set of frames to place them. That way you have total control over where they are placed but any text reflow will require tweaking the placement of the footnotes potentially.

Old 01-17-2007, 01:52 AM   #3
Heerko

Goodmorning Brian,
Thanks for answering.
My english is far from perfect, so let's see if I understand correctly.
I import the file without footnotes and copy paste the footnotes from each page in word to the page on which they belong in Indesign.
And I can use a linked set to let the frame 'flow with the text'. But when the text reflows to much, for example to the page, I may have to copy paste taht specific footnote manually to the next page?

If that's the case, It's quite some work, with at least 4 footnotes each page and moren than 100 pages. But okay.

But... I can only know on which page in Indesign the footnotes belong, when I first import the footnotes automatically? Isn't it? And then delete them and copy and paste the notes from Word?
Old 01-17-2007, 02:53 AM   #4
DTP Guy

Good morning Heerko

I am suggesting that you copy and paste the footnotes into one separate file (as if it were a separate story) and then use the linked frames to flow the 'story' onto each page where you have footnotes defined. You will have to tweak the size of the frame to contain just the footnotes for that page of text, but it may be too much trouble. I can see you have a lot of footnotes, so it may be too much manual work.

You are right also about where the footnotes are defined in the Word file. You may have to manually insert them into the text in InDesign as they may not import if you turn them off in the import dialog.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:37 AM   #5
Heerko

Thanks Brian,
Your description, make a linked frame and tweak the frame to put every footnote under the right page, is 'the manual way to do it'. But maybe the best way. It gives you the most freedom on where to put the textframes.
May be CS3 has more options for footnotes (where to positione them on your page)

By the way, to make this post al little more compleet, I found this from Adobe Staff members on the web:

Collecting footnotes
It's not possible to reformat a footnoted InDesign document to have endnotes instead. Nor can you select more than one footnote a time. But it is easy to grab all the footnotes in an InDesign document - even all footnotes throughout a book - and put them into one story, much like a collection of endnotes.
1: Choose Layout > Table of Contents.
2: Add the paragraph style that you've applied to footnotes in your document into the Include Paragraph Styles list. (Do this by double-clicking its name in the Other Styles list.
3: Choose the No Page Number option from the Page Number pop-up menu. If drawing from the whole book, check Include Book Number.
4: Click OK, and flow the TOC story that InDesign generates. Now you have copies of your footnotes all in one place. Your original footnotes are undisturbed.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:39 AM   #6
DTP Guy

Heerko

Thanks for the additional tip!

Brian