DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 01-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default A new printer...sorta...'-}}

I happened to go to fixyourownprinter.com via a link from an Epson 4000 discussion website as I was finally going to order a can of their rubber roller rejuvenator but just for yuks decided to enter "hp6mp" into the search box first and to my surprise they listed a repair kit to repair an intermitent problem I've been having with the front paper feed. They wanted ~$60 for it...

I decided to see if someone on ebay might sell this kit and discovered that I could buy a "new" HP6MP for about the same price...

Of course there were lots of HP laserjets for sale and I made the mistake of really looking at the different ones being offered.

I've just purchased a used HP laserjet 2200D for $80 plus $28 shipping. It's a 1200x1200dpi printer with postscript and comes with a toner cart and 8mb RAM.

What can I say...I tried to resist and just couldn't...'-}}

Of course, I did this after just recently ordering a new toner cart for my HP6MP...

Anyone interested in an HP6MP (600x600dpi, postscript) with 19mb of RAM, an existing toner cart and a brand new toner cart???

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I've just purchased a used HP laserjet 2200D for $80 plus $28 shipping. It's a 1200x1200dpi printer with postscript and comes with a toner cart and 8mb RAM.

What can I say...I tried to resist and just couldn't...'-}}
You got a good machine -- I've been using mine for several years now and it does a very nice job -- works fine under XP Pro and VISTA.

I added 32MB of RAM from Crucial but when I just checked they "have no memory for this model" and Kingston is a funny site too. Nothing on Newegg but a Google on 64MB SDRAM Module did produce a host of references to you should be able to find some since it only has 8MB.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 01:59 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: You got a good machine -- I've been using mine for several years now and it does a very nice job -- works fine under XP Pro and VISTA.
Oh good...'-}}

>>I added 32MB of RAM from Crucial but when I just checked they "have no memory for this model" and Kingston is a funny site too. Nothing on Newegg but a Google on 64MB SDRAM Module did produce a host of references to you should be able to find some since it only has 8MB.

Yeah...I plan to...actually, I've found a couple of different sites for HP printer RAM--the memorystore and off ebay.

I'm probably going to go with the ebay RAM but I'm waiting until I get the printer...got an email today that he was going to ship it out today so I hope that I might have it by the end of the week or early next week...

I also need to get a toner cart...

Terrie
Old 01-15-2007, 05:21 PM   #4
Hugh Wyn Griffith

There's a source on the east coast of Florida, I think, that people like for printer supplies. You could check fixyourownprinters too I guess. I get mine at Staples ......

Hugh
Old 01-16-2007, 10:23 AM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith
There's a source on the east coast of Florida, I think, that people like for printer supplies. You could check fixyourownprinters too I guess. I get mine at Staples ..
If we are talking about toner carts, I just do an online search and order from a reasonably well rated site with the best price as given the amount I print, my toner carts last for a number of years--at least with the HP6MP and it might be different with the 2200D.

I don't ever see myself buying a toner cart at Staples as I would think their prices would be higher but I will check it out...

Printer has shipped and is due to arrive late next week...will let you know how it goes...

Thanks!

Terrie

Last edited by ktinkel; 01-16-2007 at 12:22 PM. Reason: fix quote
Old 01-16-2007, 06:17 PM   #6
Hugh Wyn Griffith

You're welcome -- enjoy.

Sometimes convenience including not waiting and paying for shipment outweighs price ..... plus using rebate vouchers at Staples under their rewards scheme.

Hugh
Old 01-17-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: Sometimes convenience including not waiting and paying for shipment outweighs price .....
Oh indeed! I guess it's that I buy toner carts so rarely (thank goodness) and I have always had a good idea of when I need to get a new one that the lead time is not a problem...I think the current toner cart in my HP6MP is probably 2-3 years old...I thought it was going a few weeks ago and ordered a new cart (got a really good deal at newegg.com) but haven't needed to put it in yet...

>>plus using rebate vouchers at Staples under their rewards scheme.

Ahhh...I should check that out...

Terrie
Old 01-18-2007, 10:05 AM   #8
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Staples has a very good on-line rebate scheme which, although it does not handle all rebates, when it does it is very smooth.

You don't have to mail in anything -- just input one number of the store till receipt and it has all the information and evidence of purchase that many schemes need for the rebate to be authorized.

You can get a free card at a store that enrolls you in their rebate scheme.

Hugh
Old 01-18-2007, 11:28 AM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
hugh: Staples has a very good on-line rebate scheme which, although it does not handle all rebates, when it does it is very smooth.
That's good to know..

I like Staples as I've always had very good experiences when ordering from them--particularly compared to the absolute fiasco I recently had with ordering from Office Depot (Staples doesn't sell this particular vendor's product)--but I'm not buying toner carts from them as their pricing is very high--even with a rebate.

While I've always ordered genuine HP toner carts, this time I went with a compatible from DataBazaar at $26 (vs. $98.99 for the genuine cart at Staples!)...free shipping too and since they are in FL and I'm in VA, I should have it early next week...

I'm hoping that I won't be unhappy with the compatible cart...I'll keep you posted...

Thanks...

Terrie
Old 01-18-2007, 05:43 PM   #10
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I hope you find the "compatible" is OK -- I'm reluctant with a fine toner machine like the HP 2200 to risk it but if they work so much the better.

Hugh