DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > On Language & Literature

Old 01-05-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
Dave Saunders

Default Hot Pockets Ready in 2 Minutes

What is it with marketers and advertisers that they can't tell the plain truth? Why, when it clearly says in the instructions:

Cook for 2 minutes, then let stand for 2 minutes.

Why did the advertising guy have to say "Ready in 2 minutes"?

Drives me nuts.

But that's nothing when I look at my Bacon, Egg and Cheese hot pockets that I have for breakfast every day -- something that really is the best thing since sliced bread -- when I read the little seal they've attached that says proudly:

Made with Real Eggs and Cheese!

I can't help wondering about the bacon. Where does that come from? Is it unreal?

Dave
Dave Saunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 03:20 PM   #2
JohnC
Staff

Maybe it IS ready in 2 minutes (plus the time it took you to remove it from the freezer, open the box, unwrap it, and do whatever else is necessary before putting in the (I assume) microwave oven.

But the legal dept doesn't want you to eat it then because you will scald your mouth.
JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:22 PM   #3
bmann

It is ready in 2 minutes. Ready to sit and cool!

I guess without specifying what it's ready for after 2 minutes they could say pretty much anything.
bmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:50 AM   #4
dthomsen8

Default Sliced Bread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Saunders View Post
-- something that really is the best thing since sliced bread -- when I read the little seal they've attached that says proudly:

Made with Real Eggs and Cheese!

I can't help wondering about the bacon. Where does that come from? Is it unreal?Dave
First, sliced bread came into widespread use about 1930, with Wonderbread, a fact that most people don't know.

Perhaps that bacon is actually "turkey bacon" and not a pork belly product. Turkeys are cheaper to raise than hogs. If there is a consumer contact on the box, try contacting the producer.

If nothing else, they may send you some free coupons while you wait for a response. I recently complained about the packaging labels on a frozen food item, and I got some coupons in the mail from them. The boxes have the ingredients on one end in English, and the other end in Spanish, but when I put them in the freezer, all that small print conceals which product I am seeing, end on. The old packages had the food item in big print on one end, a convenience.

Last edited by dthomsen8; 01-10-2007 at 04:55 AM. Reason: Added information
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:18 AM   #5
LoisWakeman
Staff

Could it be from the pork futures warehouse in Ankh-Morpork?

Or more prosaically, could be made from reformed meat slurry (like those chicken/turkey/fish/<insert protein of choice here> shapes in breadcrumbs). Euch. I saw a documentary of them making this once: flailing chains followed by high pressure water hoses applied to a charnel-house of carcases.

That (and the cost) is why I tend to avoid processed food!
LoisWakeman is offline   Reply With Quote