DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 12-25-2006, 05:56 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default .NET Required

A game I bought for Christmas is complaining that I don't have .NET installed. I never needed Microsoft .NET before. Why would I want it now, except this game seems to be demanding it. I stopped the install when that came up.

The small print for the game requirements don't mention .NET, but do say Windows 2000 or Windows XP and some really minimal hardware. Perhaps the .NET is only required for the optional online version of the game, since the requirements do mention Internet access for that.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 07:22 AM   #2
dthomsen8

Default .NET Required to Install

It turns out that .NET is required to install the game. See the attachment message. Apparently the game CD contains .NET 2.0. It would seem that my idea that the .NET installation is required for online game playing is wrong.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dotnet.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	794  
Old 12-25-2006, 11:15 AM   #3
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
It turns out that .NET is required to install the game. See the attachment message. Apparently the game CD contains .NET 2.0. It would seem that my idea that the .NET installation is required for online game playing is wrong.
.NET is an application framework - a set of libraries and GUI controls used to build an application: application talks to .NET, .NET talks to Windows. It's used both for web applications and for desktop applications. But it contains high-level functionality for networking, so quite often applications that need some networking functionality (such as accessing web servers) make use of the .NET framework (I have two RSS clients installed that use .NET, have long had .NET 1.1 installed, and recently had to install .NET 2.0 - I forgot for what!). But that is by no means its only application.

But if an application is built with .NET then that application needs .NET installed to run at all.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:04 AM   #4
dthomsen8

Default .NET not required

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
But if an application is built with .NET then that application needs .NET installed to run at all.
It turns out that .NET is not required after all, even though the first install message said it was required. The first try at installation was with the AUTORUN startup from the CD, which provided that message. My next try at installation, yesterday, was to run the startup.exe file from the Windows Explorer view of the CD, and that install did not require .NET at all.

Live and learn.
Old 12-28-2006, 06:05 AM   #5
MagicNo3

You might as well go ahead and install it. Microsoft has already released .Net 3.0.

.Net is just a programming language platform. Installing the framework doesn't affect your computer in any way other than helping to run .Net applications. I think that we will be seeing the .Net framework installation as a required component for most new products in the next couple of years.

IMHO, .Net is so special because it does what Java was proported to have done but never quite took off - it marries programming for the web and desktop so that they can both be done in a single development environment. For some programmers, this is BETTER than sliced bread.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:42 PM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>>IMHO, .Net is so special because it does what Java was proported to have done but never quite took off - it marries programming for the web and desktop so that they can both be done in a single development environment.

Without disputing the value of that, I'd always understood that Java's claim to fame was platform-independence, the notion that you could write once, run anywhere.

MS makes noises that sound like a similar claim for .Net but absent .Net frameworks for non-Windows platforms, the noises sound suspiciously like very warm wind. ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:01 AM   #7
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
MS makes noises that sound like a similar claim for .Net but absent .Net frameworks for non-Windows platforms, the noises sound suspiciously like very warm wind. ;-)
Just like the "Write once, run everywhere" for Java was - there were always platform differences. One major reason why I became disappointed in Java, except (maybe) for server-side programming.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
MagicNo3

Quote:
I'd always understood that Java's claim to fame was platform-independence, the notion that you could write once, run anywhere.
Precisely. That is the claim. The problem is that it did not really take off for whatever reason. A lot of people tried it, but not many were able to successfully make truly platform independent apps that didn't require massive amounts of tweaking (meaning multiple code bases, which defeats the whole purpose)

While it is true that .Net apps made in Visual studio need to be developed on a Windows machine, that does not take into account .net for C## or Delphi.net. I am sure there are others as well. In addition to that, you have the point that it doesn't matter what platform the app is developed under. What matters is what platform the USER is running it under. And in the case of a .net web app, that can be literally ANY machine that is connected to the Internet. Commodore 64 running the latest tech? Boooya!
Old 01-03-2007, 05:54 PM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Like Write once, run everywhere" only more so. Java at least has runtimes for quite a variety of platforms. I don't know that .Net runs under anything but Windows.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 01-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>>And in the case of a .net web app, that can be literally ANY machine that is connected to the Internet. Commodore 64 running the latest tech?

That'd be true of anything that runs on the server, no? PHP, server-side VBScript, et al.

And in the case of a .Net app, make that a Windows server or no game.

www.pptools.com
and stuff