DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > How to Use the Forum

Old 02-27-2005, 10:25 PM   #11
marlene
Staff

FWIW, no increase in spam or viruses here.

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 02:54 PM   #12
Paul

I received two viruses in personal email today, but I have no reason to think that registration here had anything to do with it.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:34 PM   #13
groucho
Staff

Robin, how are mobile phone emails set up in the UK, or for your carrier? Here in the US there are in the format of phonenumber@carriername so anyone who knows your mobile number and carrier can deduce the email address. And that's not something you can customize or change, that's just the address for that mobile device.

The fact that you are getting many viruses--when viruses usually aren't targeted to a mobile--could just mean that one person, who legitimately has that address from you, is running a zombie computer and unknowingly sending out attacks to everyone in THEIR address book. Which includes you.
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 07:39 AM   #14
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Hello Groucho, I've run virus and spyware scans on my computers (they're clean, of course). I'm pretty certain I haven't given that email address to anybody, but that doesn't mean the spammers haven't managed to get it from the ISP: after all, I can't see an ISP coming clean "I say, frightfully sorry everyone, but we've been hacked into and some bugger's got hold of all the email addresses!"

I'll see how things pan out over the next few weeks; if there's no reduction in the viruses I'll reregister with a new address. It's managable for now, thanks.
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 11:01 AM   #15
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall
Hello Groucho, I've run virus and spyware scans on my computers (they're clean, of course). I'm pretty certain I haven't given that email address to anybody, but that doesn't mean the spammers haven't managed to get it from the ISP: after all, I can't see an ISP coming clean "I say, frightfully sorry everyone, but we've been hacked into and some bugger's got hold of all the email addresses!"

I'll see how things pan out over the next few weeks; if there's no reduction in the viruses I'll reregister with a new address. It's managable for now, thanks.
It could also be that your address along with a whole bunch of other mobile phone numbers are getting the nastyware, because some virusbot has guessed them. That's always been a problem for CIS' old numeric addresses (example: 70771,2300). Once spammers discovered the series, they'd simply do a bombing run to 70771.0001@______, 70771.0002@______, 70771.0003@______, 70771.0004@______, ...without knowing who - if anyone - was actually at the receiving end of the address.

Last edited by Franca; 03-01-2005 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Removed an errant hyperlink
ElyseC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 11:07 AM   #16
Franca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElyseC
It could also be that your address along with a whole bunch of other mobile phone numbers are getting the nastyware, because some virusbot has guessed them. That's always been a problem for CIS' old numeric addresses (example: 70771,2300). Once spammers discovered the series, they'd simply do a bombing run to 70771.0001@______, 70771.0002@______, 70771.0003@______, 70771.0004@______,... without knowing who - if anyone - was actually at the receiving end of the address.
This seems the most likely explanation to me.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 12:51 PM   #17
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

<groan!>

Last edited by Robin Springall; 03-01-2005 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Removed profanity <gg>
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 01:38 PM   #18
Franca
Staff

lol!

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote