DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Old 12-13-2006, 03:10 AM   #1
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.
Default I'm uninstalling IE7: pah!

I made the mistake of installing IE7 when it became part of the regular MS software update thingy. The PC now takes about 30 seconds to connect to any remote folder on our LAN when using Windows Explorer, which is really odd: grrr!

Old 12-13-2006, 06:29 AM   #2
bmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall View Post
I made the mistake of installing IE7 when it became part of the regular MS software update thingy. The PC now takes about 30 seconds to connect to any remote folder on our LAN when using Windows Explorer, which is really odd: grrr!
Yeah, anyone that uses IE for FTP sites will notice you no longer have the folder view without going through a menu or two each time you connect. I use FTP a dozen times a day but I use FileZilla. People I work with use IE, though.
bmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 06:38 AM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

Quite a lot of "functions" of IE have been modified or removed in IE7, mainly (so they tell us) for security reasons. IE7 is more independent of the Windows Explorer shell, and totally independent on Vista. I have had no problems on our network with remote files after installing IE7, but we all used Firefox as the main browser.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
seb481

I hate ie7 too!!! However, i still use it for banking and other stuffs as firefox is sometimes a little weak.
seb481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:17 AM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall View Post
Now that I'm used to the changes -- and my bank has updated its server to cope with IE7 -- I like IE7, especially its improved printing of web pages and the disappeared menu bar that comes back with ALT.

But I don't do any FTP accesses.

I'm also getting used to TABs and using the right mouse click / Open in a new tag rather than left mouse click and a new window.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 05:51 PM   #6
groucho
Staff

Just a stray thought, Robin. Are your networks all TCP/IP or are you using one of the other protocols, or using multiple protocols? I ask because some of the older protocols sometimes create timing issues, i.e. timeouts while looking for a "master browser" on a network, that TCP/IP wouldn't have.
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 06:34 AM   #7
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Thanks for the thought, but we just use TCP/IP. It's really an odd situation: since I installed IE7 there's been a 20-second or 30-second delay when that PC accesses any network drive or even a shared area on the LAN. Needless to say, the delay has remained even after uninstalling IE7.