DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Old 12-12-2006, 06:35 PM   #1
limacguy

Default Unusual Tiger Font issue

I have a user running tiger with Suitcase Fusion ver 12.1.3, with a couple of fonts, when he creates a text box in quark 6.5.2, and tries printing - he gets an error that the fonts may be corrupt and they print as courier.

The font in question was copied from two other computers, removed from his suitcase by deleting, he dragged the new copies in to suitcase same results.

He also gets this when he creates a pdf and embeds fonts - an error that fonts maybe corrupt, and it prints with courier.

When the PDF was sent to a printer to print - they were unable to print it as well without errors

He started with the shift key down - same results - could it be corrupt font cache?

Suggestions?

Thanks!!!

SM

Last edited by ktinkel; 12-13-2006 at 05:13 AM. Reason: fix bad line breaks
limacguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 05:19 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

I assume the font worked all right on the other computer, the one from which it was dragged?

Was it a Type 1? If so, did he also copy over the outline fonts? (He should have placed the entire font in a folder, and then dragged from that into Suitcase so the bitmaps could find the outline.)

(The only problem with that is that the error message should have referred to a missing outline or printer font.)

It could be a corrupt font cache, especially if he tried two different copies of the font. Has he tried installing a fresh copy of the font from the source CD? It is also possible for fonts to become corrupted.

Just trying to think of possibilities here.

Old 12-13-2006, 05:33 AM   #3
limacguy

Hi Kathleen!

Thanks sooo much for the response. Being more of a network analyst than a creative guru - yes, he copied over both files associated with the font. Yes - it displays and prints fine without errors on other macs. Differences are Tiger vs older OS, newer version of Suitcase, but I would think it would be font cache - that is corrupt causing this - what do you think? How do I fix it? Thanks soooo much for the response!

SM
Old 12-13-2006, 05:57 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by limacguy View Post
Differences are Tiger vs older OS, newer version of Suitcase, but I would think it would be font cache - that is corrupt causing this - what do you think? How do I fix it?
I couldn’t remember how to clear the font cache (it isn’t obvious or easy), but found this Daring Fireball explanation on the web.

Did he try putting the font directly into the fonts folder? That could help clarify where the problem lies. If it works there, it probably isn’t the font cache but something about Suitcase.

Good luck. Sounds very annoying.

Old 12-13-2006, 06:29 AM   #5
limacguy

Kathleen

Umm - specifically which font folder - how would you proceed?

Thanks!!!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 06:58 AM   #6
roaryg

See if the font works using FontBook.
roaryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 07:55 AM   #7
limacguy

roarg

Thanks for the response. As easy as fontbook probably is - I have not usedit before (being more of a techie than a creative pro). Would you be kind enough to tell me in a few steps?
What are your thoughts on how to clear out the cache - could that be it - if the font works fine on other machines, yet not this one? Here it prints as courier.

Thanks!!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 08:00 AM   #8
roaryg

Font book is on all osx macs, in the applications folder, just launch and then under the file menu choose add fonts. Sometimes fonts will work with font book and not under suitcase for some reason. If it works in font book then probably it is a cache problem or a font conflict or something like that.

There is a utility called "font cache cleaner", I believe free but not sure where it comes from. Do a google. Perhaps also visit www.macfixit.com, it may be there, along with other answers to font problems.
roaryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 08:58 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by limacguy View Post
Umm - specifically which font folder - how would you proceed?
On the boot disk:

Users > [username] > Library > Fonts

However, roaryg’s idea of using FontBook is also a good one, especially as it also performs a quality check before activating a font. (Of course, it sometimes over-reacts, I find — that is, it says a font is no good when it works in other ways.)

Old 12-13-2006, 10:53 AM   #10
limacguy

Kathleen

So the font then is always available correct? It wouldn't be cached - so if the cache was corrupt it woudn't use it? So it should be removed from suitcase. Now, if this does work - does that mean it probably is the cache? I am a bit confused as to when the cache is used.

Thanks!
SM