DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-11-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
George

Default Monitors & Stuff

Now that I've gone to a 19" CRT monitor by a different manufacturer, I'm having new thoughts about how to set it to avoid eye strain. I had a 17" CRT monitor by HP, and I set the contrast and brightness extremely low, with color at 256/ 6500K, so that I could work on the computer long hours without it bothering my eyes. (If it did in rare instances, I drank Chamomile tea, but wine would work as well to relax them).

Now I am finding that to avoid eye strain, I set the brightness and contrast up high, with color at 24 bit (but I haven't tried 9300K yet). The darker settings seem to cause eye strain on this monitor, but it's a different manufacturer.

Hmm -- I have a 17" LCD monitor on another computer, and I thought it would be easier on the eyes. But it's not, and in fact, it seems worse. I wonder -- maybe I should have made it brighter. I don't like it overall and don't use it much.

With the 19" monitor, it's easier to see what's on the screen. So I use completely different posture. I'm further back and more relaxed. So, that in itself is easier on the eyes. I have my mini-optical mouse on a little lap high Queen Ann tea table beside my chair, and I can assume whatever posture I feel is best. My keyboard is in my lap, all of which also eliminates wrist strain.

I finally did learn how to type in Nov. 2004, but as I mostly use dictation software, I still prefer to just type with two fingers anyway, and I have a keyboard with the large keys. It's neat. The mind works differently in writing with dictation software, and interesting sentence structures come out. When I wrote by hand, I always had to use a cartridge pen and legal size tablets to get decent sentence structure. Also yellow paper helps sometimes.

When I used transcriptionists in the business world, I would always have the rough drafts printed on light yellow paper, and in that way I had much better results in finding typos and necessary corrections. Now, it occurs to me, I could set the background color in the document I am dictating to something easier on the eyes than white, and change it back later. Hmm-- and maybe, I should try yellow again, but on the monitor, to proof read for errors.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote