DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 12-07-2006, 02:03 PM   #1
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Default Busy business cards

I've been badly in need of new business cards for some years, but have been putting it off because of the difficulty in putting all I need to on them and still making them readable.

Our standard business card is 55x90 mm. On this I need to fit:

Company logo
Company name
Company ABN (a business number, basically)
Company street address (2 lines)
Company postal address (3 lines)
Company phone
Company fax
Company web address
My name
My position
My e-mail address

It all has to be readable, and there needs to be some white space to make sense of it all.

How do you solve this? I've started the redesign I think at least six times in the past few years.

Old 12-07-2006, 03:48 PM   #2
gary

That IS a lot for one card!

Can you do the logo on a plane beneath the information; that should allow you a lot more freedom in the layout?

Alternative - put the handing-it-to-someone information (company name, your name, position, e-mail, direct dial) on the front and the full-blown address information on the back?

I am assuming you have ruled out a tent (folded) card?
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 04:52 PM   #3
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
difficulty in putting all I need to on them...
First, i would question if you really *need* all of that info. Why the street address--do you want first-time customers dropping by your office [house]? Why your position-- you are a one-person shop, what job descriptiion don't you hold?

Other than two addresses, you have the usual assortment of BC info. the first step ought to be to prioritize the info--what should be the most prominant, next-most prominant, etc.

Then cluster information: things that are similar in nature--phone, fax, e-mail, street address.

Choice of typeface can allow you to make things smaller than one would expect--ABN can probably be 6 pt, phone numbers, address 7 – 9 pt.

Old 12-07-2006, 05:10 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Thanks, Don

I've always included the street address on my business cards because it's considered here to be a bit dodgy if you only have a postal address on your business stationery.

I take your point on the ABN – smaller is better there.

And thanks for the other suggestions. I'll try to put something together with those groups.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:29 AM   #5
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
How do you solve this? I've started the redesign I think at least six times in the past few years.
My current solution is to use fold-out business cards. That gives me four pages to play with.

At present the front page has logo, company name and contact details, the back page has a map of how to get here (not easy as it's a road with no name and GPS systems land people the wrong side of a hill). The centre pages just contain blurb about the services I offer but I'm planning on improving that sometime.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 06:12 AM   #6
donmcc

Four quadrants:

Upper left
Company logo

Upper Right
Company name
My name
My position

Lower Left
Company street address (2 lines)
Company phone
My e-mail address

Lower Right
Company postal address (3 lines)
Company fax
Company web address
Company ABN (a business number, basically)

And use small type.

I do NOT like the idea of front and back, or foldout cards. These get put into rollodex or binders, and the customer will eventually get tired of pulling out the card to read all the information and will instead phone someone else who made a 1-sided card.

(A map or something non-essential can be on the back, but all main info should be on one side.)
donmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 02:59 PM   #7
annc
Sysop

Thanks for the plan, Don

I also don't like having printing on the back of my business cards. I often write things on there and give the card to someone.

Old 12-09-2006, 02:10 PM   #8
boteman

Default minimal is best

While I appreciate your eagerness to communicate as much info as possible on your business card, I am reminded of the time sat down with the owner of a print shop to talk about computer work for him.

The first thing he did was to grab a business card, lean back in his chair, throw that business card right into the trash can. He told me that the huge majority of business cards end up in that very same place, so I would recommend putting only the minimal info on your business card and offering more info through other means once a lead has "bitten".

Make the card pack a real punch based on the other suggestions here, but cull out all but the absolutely necessary information. K.I.S.S. principle at work here.

Cheers!
boteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 01:19 AM   #9
Mike
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by boteman View Post
He told me that the huge majority of business cards end up in that very same place, so I would recommend putting only the minimal info on your business card and offering more info through other means once a lead has "bitten".
The alternative is to made the card worth keeping. Use the reverse side for a calendar or price list or something the receiver might want to keep.

www.welshframing.com
Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2006, 09:29 AM   #10
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

I pretty much agree with Don — it will not look so overwhelming if organized by type size and spacing.

You could consider a vertical card, with the clumps of information running down from the logo/business name at the top. They can be annoying for the recipient, though, depending on what they do with the card.

Alternatively, use a traditional horizontal layout with the logo and name prominently at the top, three little columns/clumps ranging across beneath that, and your name and e-mail address set off at the bottom.

Spacing will be important — the business name and your name should sort of balance each other out (but not be the same size), the other information kind of visually supporting the business info.

There are good narrowish typefaces to choose from, including Myriad and Minion. You could also use a slightly lighter shade for the supporting information.