DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2006, 07:47 AM   #8
Cristen Gillespie

Quote:
KT: Is heat an issue, I wonder?
From what I've read, less so with this new design than with the iMac G5 I have. The reason for going over to Intel is said to be partly because they couldn't solve the heat issue with the chip they were using. The new models are faster but generate a lot less heat than the old. It's said that's why the Mac Pro is so quiet. It requires fewer fans, leaving more space for drives than the Mac G5 Towers had.

An iMac is pretty good for pretty much everything for about 3 years. I'm thinking MacPro because I normally don't like to outgrow a computer that quickly and I can combine 2 computers into one, but if you won't be keeping up with the latest and greatest software, being retired, then old and slow won't happen. You'll stay quick, just a few versions behind.

The 2 drawbacks, and only 2, that I've felt with the iMac G5 is lack of RAM and lack of an upgradeable video card. The fact that it's not super-expandable simply hasn't affected me. I burn DVDs and can attach external drives. The video is mediocre in an iMac, and RAM is the one factor I can't use to stretch out the life of this computer as my main computer. But if that isn't a factor for you, I'd say go for the iMac.