DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Fonts & Typography

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-02-2006, 02:28 PM   #1
michelen

Location: In California, where Berkeley, Oakland, and Emeryville all meet.
Default Converting Postscript Fonts to PC Format

We work in a mixed environment. Until recently, we were receiving MSWord docs from the PC-based editorial department, and doing all page layout work in the Design/Production department using Macs.

We have changed our workflow to make it more efficient. Editors are now expected to "drop" their own stories into InDesign templates. The pages then go to Design, then back to edit for copyedit changes. In the end, they come to me for prepress. I had my doubts at first, but this is actually working quite well and saving a lot of time.

The one problem, as you can guess, was fonts. Someone here mentioned FontLab's Transtype font conversion program, so I decided to check it out.

I converted our entire postscript font library to PC format--and it worked almost perfectly. I was truly amazed at how simple the program was to use, and how well it worked. It took me an hour or so to convert our thousands of fonts. I tested them pretty extensively, sending InDesign files back and forth between platforms, and so far, I have not encountered any problems.

Eventually, we plan to invest in the entire Adobe Font Folio package in OpenType format. But until we do, this was a very cost-effective solution to the problem. We bought the "Pro" version for $179. There is an "SE" version for $99. The Pro version allows conversion between formats, i.e. Mac Type 1 to Windows OpenType.

Just thought you might be interested in my experience with this software.

Regards,
Michele
michelen is offline   Reply With Quote