DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 02-28-2005, 05:54 PM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default gotta lotta snow yet?

With New England’s third storm in a week, I wonder how others are faring. From the news, I gather Washington, D.C. is getting a load.

It didn’t really gather any energy here in Connecticut until 7 p.m. or so, but they do say we should have 10 inches by morning.

Enough, already! I wonder if this counts as March coming in like a lion?

Fortunately, we have milk and other grub, and can just sit it out. Again.

Old 02-28-2005, 05:56 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
With New England’s third storm in a week, I wonder how others are faring. From the news, I gather Washington, D.C. is getting a load.

It didn’t really gather any energy here in Connecticut until 7 p.m. or so, but they do say we should have 10 inches by morning.

Enough, already! I wonder if this counts as March coming in like a lion?

Hmm, poor you. The first day of autumn here is gorgeous. Top of 28 expected, with a lovely cool breeze. No airconditioning at all needed, for the first day in months.

Old 02-28-2005, 05:58 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
Hmm, poor you. The first day of autumn here is gorgeous. Top of 28 expected, with a lovely cool breeze. No airconditioning at all needed, for the first day in months.
Hrmmmph. So I guess you guys don’t have the expression that “March comes in like a lion but goes out like a lamb!” huh?

Old 02-28-2005, 07:03 PM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Hrmmmph. So I guess you guys don’t have the expression that “March comes in like a lion but goes out like a lamb!” huh?
Only in quaint English books. <g>

Old 02-28-2005, 10:25 PM   #5
Jonathan
Staff

Quote:
San Diego is not noted for its snowfall. The last time it snowed here was in 1968, and it all melted as soon as it hit the ground. But it was pretty exciting while it lasted <g>.

That being said, we are pushing the record for rainfall here, as we have so far the third highest rainfall total since measurement began in 1879. We've had more than Seattle so far this year!

My daughters went on a snow trip to Big Bear (a three hour drive) with friends last weekend, and snow fell the whole three days where they were. They came home very tired and very happy.

I hope your supplies hold up <vbg>

Old 02-28-2005, 11:16 PM   #6
marlene
Staff

Actually, we didn't get as much as we were promised in D.C. <sulk>

Anticipating up to 10" of snow, I sent Mr. E out at dawn to forage for bread and milk (we already have lots of cookies). But although it's been snowing all day, and is right purty, it's not accumulating much -- maybe 3" (wild guess, since I haven't set foot outside, or watched the weather reports).

The dogs love it, though. They periodically run outside, chase each other around and slide across the deck (at one point Alexei was taking a break -- lying sprawled out in the snow), then come back in wet and lean against us to be petted. <g>

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2005, 07:29 AM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
…we are pushing the record for rainfall here, as we have so far the third highest rainfall total since measurement began in 1879.
Been watching the rain story. The L.A. area has a history of mudslides from periodic heavy rains (a friend lost the school she taught in there in 1963, in fact). But this has been extraordinary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan
I hope your supplies hold up <vbg>
Oh, sure. It is only about a half mile to two giant supermarkets and less than that to a convenience store for milk and such. But we stock up and stay home — one advantage of being retired!

Jack likes shoveling snow, so that’s what he does. Works for me! <g>

Old 03-01-2005, 07:32 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlene
Actually, we didn't get as much as we were promised in D.C. <sulk>
Neither did we, and I too feel slightly cheated. They were talking 9 or 10 inches and Jack thinks (he’s been shoveling) it was around 5 inches.

And we didn’t get much wind, either. But I just spoke to a friend in our old town, and she said the wind was really blowing and there were huge drifts of snow, though she doesn’t think they got much more than 5 inches, either.

Quote:
The dogs love it, though. They periodically run outside, chase each other around and slide across the deck (at one point Alexei was taking a break -- lying sprawled out in the snow), then come back in wet and lean against us to be petted. <g>
An act of pure affection of course — thanking you for arranging such a nice day for them.

mxh[/QUOTE]

Old 03-01-2005, 10:53 AM   #9
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Sounds like a nearly five year old boy here. <g>

Old 03-01-2005, 12:53 PM   #10
Paul

Default No snow here

Quote:
When I lived on the Connecticut shore, it appeared that it was mainly beer and ice cream that people stocked up on before a storm.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote