DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-01-2006, 10:02 AM   #5
dthomsen8

Default Medium Format Slides?

Quote:
Originally Posted by don Arnoldy View Post
You have the calculation correct. A 300-dpi image that took up the entire 7 7/8 x 9 7/8 live area would need to be 2363 x 2963 pixels.

The traditional way is to shoot medium-format slides, then scan them on a drum scanner. Not only do you get substatially higher resolution--you get a much larger dynamic range, and greater detail in the show areas.
Now I am not sure what you mean. Would a medium-format slide be taken with a 35mm SLR or rangefinder camera? My concern there would be that I don't have any wide angle 35mm cameras, and for interior shots of the town house we are going to photograph, we need wide angle photos. If by medium-format you mean larger than 35mm, I don't ahve such a thing.

My FujiFilm FinePix E510 camera doesn't seem to have any setting for the pixels per inch. I am supposing that 72 pixels per inch is a standard for many digital cameras, until the ones $1,000 and up are reached. I have not researched this supposition. Anyway, for one house, I am not buying or even renting a camera of any kind. I will decline the whole job.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote