DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-30-2006, 08:42 AM   #5
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvecht View Post
I think Linux should be able to do that just fine. It depends a little on your configuration how hard it will be. If your partition is a FAT32 one and not NTFS it is easy. NTFS should be possible as well nowadays.
I'm afraid I didn't make myself clear on that: I can get at the files that together form the registry - but what I need is a program that can actually read those files as a registry and allow me to export keys to .reg files in order to "transplant" the data of installed programs. I have a bunch of Registry tools - but all read only a registry of an actually booted system (local, or even across the LAN), but not that of an alternate Windows installation that is not currently booted. I'll do some googling but I suspect all registry tools just use Windows' own system calls - which access the currently-booted Registry.

Oh, and practically all my partitions are NTFS now - so much more stable in case of a system crash: I've never lost anything from an NTFS partition, even if there are errors after a crash they get automatically repaired with chkdsk after reboot; whereas with FAT(32) all "repair" usually consists of making useless files with bits of lost clusters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvecht
Copying the repaired registry back to a FAT32 partition takes the same time.
Total excluding repairing the corrupted registry I estimate no more than 30 minutes at most.
But what would I repair the files with? Same problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvecht
You could consider putting back a backup of the registry if that exists and see whether that works.
I tried that, of course. But even if I tell the backup program to put it back at the "original location" it overwrites partly the currently-booted Windows, and partly the non-booted version. With the result that the currently-booted Windows would not boot any more after a reboot; and the original windows still would not fully boot.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote