DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-28-2006, 12:44 PM   #1
George

Default Effective Images

About a month ago I bought a picture off e-bay for $9 with shipping, merely to fit a frame I already had, that I thought played very nicely with the bannister. It's of Confederate soldiers riding through the woods in a creek. Ok, so last night I lie down in bed and close my eyes, and what do I see?? Yes, the soldiers, the entire picture, so vivid. That's never happened to me before with any picture, and I look at and hang a lot of them.

Hmm, how is it some images have such a powerful affect?? I've learned through time that how much I spend on art has nothing to do with the power of the image.

It seems to me that when images are selected, the primary consideration should be -- but what is the power of the visual affect, without respect to precise principles of graphic design?? The image should be tested on average viewers, not necessarily to see how well it is made, but what affect it has on them. Never mind that such affect can't actually be explained, but just see if there is one, and how sharp is it. In reality, actual experience ultimately takes precedence over many aspects of design. When the power is there, don't turn from it based on some asthetic principle.

Yes, I read the thread on "affect/effect." But I think in this case it's actually a thin line. There wasn't a thread on "precedence."

George
remembering Raul Velasco
George is offline   Reply With Quote