DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 11-25-2006, 04:54 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default DMOZ Technical Problems

I have been trying to submit some web sites to the Open Directory Project, and and I regularly receive a message about technical problems. This message is the answer to trying to submit (actually, suggest) a URL, and is not really saying very much.

This morning I stumbled upon a discussion forum of the Open Directory Project called the resource zone. There is a notice posted stating that they are experiencing technical problems with their servers. The public pages are from a backup, and they do not know when the technical problems will be resolved. So:

1) Don't try to submit a site to the DMOZ, it is not functioning.

2) Don't try to become an editor, that doesn't work, either.

3) If you recently got a site listed, but it is gone now, don't complain, some listings were lost when they went to the backup.

4) Apparently this problem surfaced on October 24, 2006, so their response to submit requests is now misleading. Trying again in a few days is not realistic if the technical problem has existed for a month.

I have summarized their announcement, but the public can read it if they can find it. Searching on 'DMOZ technical problems' does provide plenty of listings in the SEO community and elsewhere.

Last edited by dthomsen8; 11-25-2006 at 05:04 AM. Reason: More information.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 03:04 AM   #2
dthomsen8

Default DMOZ Update

Here is a current posting from the DMOZ:

"UPDATE: December 18, 2006
-- Editors have regained access to the editors server. However, the public ODP scripts (including site suggestion, update listing, editor application, and abuse reporting) are still not available and we currently have no ETA for their return. Please be patient and, again, we ask that you not start threads asking when those forms will be available again--we will update this announcement when we have further information. Thanks."

It is difficult to imagine just what kind of software error or hardware failure has caused the failure of such a large search directory, funded by commerical interests and functioning for years. If the volunteer editors have access, though, then the directory can be updated with the large backlog of URLs submitted before the failure of the system months ago.

Last edited by dthomsen8; 12-19-2006 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Additional comments
Old 12-19-2006, 05:11 AM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
It is difficult to imagine just what kind of software error or hardware failure has caused the failure of such a large search directory, funded by commerical interests and functioning for years.
Well it is "owned" by AOL who administer the system and are responsible for the data recovery. Strangely, a site I submitted around the end of September is showing in the list, so at least some of the content is current.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 06:18 AM   #4
dthomsen8

Default DMOZ Submissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
Strangely, a site I submitted around the end of September is showing in the list, so at least some of the content is current.
My reading in books and online tells me that when/whether a site gets accepted depends entirely on the editor for that topic.

Some URLs are accepted promptly, some after months of delay, and some never, because editors can mostly do what they want with their particular topics. My experience early on with web development was favorable. Submission of Philadelphia civic associations resulted in entries rather promptly, although some other submissions were accepted in slightly different topics from the ones I was maintaining.

Further reading on the web today did produce remarks about how AOL has cut technical staff, making some people formerly involved with DMOZ sceptical that the directory will ever function as it did in the past. There are comments saying that the usual backups were not being done by AOL. Another explaination of why there are still no submissions accepted from the public is an abundance of caution about how the restart should be conducted.

My own opinion is that a human operated directory can never catch up with the rapid growth of the World Wide Web, but even so a directory has something to contribute beyond what search engines like Google can do.
Old 01-14-2007, 04:44 PM   #5
dthomsen8

Default DMOZ Site Suggestions now Working

From the DMOZ Resources web site, this is their latest announcement:

"UPDATE: January 13, 2007
-- The Site Suggestion, Update Listing, Editor Reinstatement, and Forgotten Password forms are available again. New editor applications are still disabled and we are still not able to check on the statuses of previous applications. As well, the public abuse reporting system, editor feedback, and any other feature for which the "Service Temporarily Unavailable" message is still appearing are still not available. We have no ETA for the return of the features which are still down. Please be patient and, again, we ask that you not start threads asking when those forms will be available again--we will update this announcement when we have further information."

This means that you can now submit site suggestions for the DMOZ.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:15 AM   #6
Kelvyn
Staff

The editor server was up and running shortly before Christmas, but it looks like some editor-only data has been lost, so it may be a good idea to repeat submissions made during the 2-3 months before the October crash if they do not make it onto the public list within a couple of weeks.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:49 AM   #7
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

My site finally appeared just after Christmas. It took over a year to show after my second attempt. The first attempt was so long ago I've forgotten how long it was. I think well before we left CIS.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:10 AM   #8
dthomsen8

Default Site appears in DMOZ!

Good for you and your site. Care to mention the URL?

My understanding is that it depends entirely on the volunteer editor for your particular subject. Some are quick to respond to submissions, some entirely ignore submissions, and others get around to it months or years later. My suspicion is that maybe the volunteer editors change and old submissions finally make it with new editors.